Replacing inlet manifold vacuum actuator - please help!

mcmasl2

Hi there - my wife's A2 1.6 petrol FSI has had the engine warning light on for a few weeks so thought I'd try and tackle this. Thanks to all the helpful advice on this forum I've tracked this down to a snapped link arm on the vacuum actuator. I've removed this broken vacuum actuator but am now left with the plastic broken end tab left on the link arm which connects to the potentiometer and to the inlet maifold valve shaft. I can see how this is removed but can't seem to get the link arm far enough up into the recess which is machined out of the aluminium. It seems to be about 5mm short. The valves seem to be free as can move easily with fingertips but not sure about full travel coming upwards.
I have also removed and checked the EGR valve for carbon build up and this seems clean so am confident these inlet valves are free of carbon build up.

Can someone kindly advise whether I can replace the vacuum actuator without removing the inlet manifolds?

Thanks in advance!

pretty sure i dont need to remove belts but looks to be tight to try and get the new vacuum unit in and push home into link arm to the flaps, after stripping down today but didnt want to remove inlets if i didnt have to, will get new part tuesday a try and fit it without removing manifolds maybe with a little force i can pop it back in, anybody managed to get this back together or am going to be the first, will let you all know how it go's.
knowing my luck will prob find out that flaps are carbon up and will brake link arm again but they do seem very loose but are a little limited and reluctant to come right to the top of there travel, mmmmmmm.

Back