retro fit steering wheel

pc759

A2OC Donor
here's what ive done.
managed to get three spoke steering wheel and airbag for my a2 se and swap for original four spoke.
disconnected battery and fitted above items everything ok airbag lights went out etc but now when i come to lock the car using rcl neither my day to day key fob or my back up fob work. But both will work ok by locking car from keyhole. Has anyone got any remedies??
Paul

Any time you dsconnect the battery, you must re-sync your keys with the engine ECU.

The procedure for this is quite straight-forward:

Manually lock the car with key A, remove the key from the lock and then re-insert it and unlock it.
Put the key in the ignition and start the engine.
Run the engine for a few seconds (10 is plenty) then turn off the engine and remove the key.
IMMEDIATELY PRESS THE UNLOCK BUTTON ON THE KEY FOB. The indicators will blink and the key is re-synced.

Repeat above for the other key.

Cheers,

Mike

I never had to do this when I disconnected my battery?!? :confused:

Anyway is it easy to retro fit the steering wheel?

yes it is easy, the complicating factors for me were that i had to make sure i got an airbag to fit my new wheel as they didnt come together and this arose from advice given by skipton who i have to say is just flipping brilliant.
disconnet battery, unscrew airbag bolts disconnect bag and remove undo centre M12 splined bolt fit new wheel making sure it aligned and refit connectors etc bobs your uncle.
Interestingly on several vw websites it says to leave your key in the ignition in the on position then disconnect the battery i wonder if id done this i wouldnt have had any key problems whihc i hope to sort out this morning again based on advice from Skipton
Please see my new thread on 'New names for Skipton'
Paul

PC, you forgot to mention that you must earth yourself to both the car and the ground before handling the airbag. Airbags are extrememly sensitive to static electricity and should be handle with extreme caution as they can kill.

Leaving the key in the ignition whilst disconnecting the battery just ensures that any electrical spikes are dissipated. It has nothing to do with negating the need for recoding.

Cheers,

Mike

hi guys do you know where i can buy the M12 splined bolt to fit new wheel. i've just bought a new one and would like to fit it. if i follow the first post instructions it should be all good? thanks

Chuck - the original bolt is good for 5 re-torqings (if there is such a word!), that is to say it can be re-used 5 times.

According to Mr Audi, you should put a punch mark on the head each time you replace it.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi skipton i've read somewhere on this forum that i'll need a special tool to remove the m12 bolt. Is this the case and if so where can it be purchased? Thanks

Yes, the clue is in the question: An M12 splined bolt needs a 12mm spline bit to remove it.

ANy good hardware shop can supply these bits, which must be used in a torwue wrench.

Cheers,

Mike

Just adding to Mike's comments regarding the dangers of handling airbags I have always put the key in the ignition and turned it on before connecting the battery. This way you'r not in the drivers seat when everything is powered up and there is a small risk of the airbag being activated.
I have never had to recode my keys either.

Cheers Spike

I have taken/ changed a lot of steering wheels in my life, but never handled one before with an airbag

That is the only thing that holds me back in doing the Cruise control and the steering wheel upgrade

I have read a lot about how easy it is to take the airbag out, but if it goes wrong its straight away a 200 plus cost your looking at, and how do i know for sure that after i have put it back in its working ok ????

Havank said:
I have taken/ changed a lot of steering wheels in my life, but never handled one before with an airbag

That is the only thing that holds me back in doing the Cruise control and the steering wheel upgrade

I have read a lot about how easy it is to take the airbag out, but if it goes wrong its straight away a 200 plus cost your looking at, and how do i know for sure that after i have put it back in its working ok ????
If you are doing the cruise fit, you presumably have a full version og Vag-Com, to do the necessary coding.

If that is the case, you can and should check the airbag systems after replacing it to make sure that it is fully functional/

Cheers,

Mike

Havank said:
Aha

I was hoping / thinking i could do the cc with the free (small) vag.com version :confused:
I don't think that version enables you to re-code the engine ECU with the appropriate login number, but I may be wrong on this.

Cheers,

Mike

I've just purchased a new style a3 3 spoke wheel and am searching for a airbag for it, does anyone know if the 4 spoke wheel airbag will fit in it?:confused:

Thanks

chucknaldo said:
I've just purchased a new style a3 3 spoke wheel and am searching for a airbag for it, does anyone know if the 4 spoke wheel airbag will fit in it?:confused:

Thanks

I do not think that one will fit an A2 due to the fact that the airbag is something like a 2 firing mechanism rather then a 1 firing mechnism

I could be wrong, but i seem to have read something about this on the german forum

Havank said:
I do not think that one will fit an A2 due to the fact that the airbag is something like a 2 firing mechanism rather then a 1 firing mechnism

I could be wrong, but i seem to have read something about this on the german forum
You are quite correct in saying that it is a dual-stage airbag, but they can be re-worked to provide compatibility with single-stage controllers. This is exactly what I have done with my new-style TT wheel, which was also a dual stage airbag.

However, unless you know what you are doing, don't even attempt to modify anything, as you can quite easily kill yourself, or seriously injure yourself.

Cheers,

Mike

aha,

so that is what you did

The german's couldn't get their head arround how you managed to get that Audi TT steering wheel in your A2

They are still working out how you did it :D :D :D

Skipton01 said:
If you are doing the cruise fit, you presumably have a full version og Vag-Com, to do the necessary coding.

If that is the case, you can and should check the airbag systems after replacing it to make sure that it is fully functional/

Cheers,

Mike

I take it you don't actually mean drive it into a wall he he he

Back