Special Edition Register

Chris93

So I know there isnt anything particularly ‘Special’ about them other than being last off the line but is there a register of Special Editions anywhere? Seeing as there were only 600 odd seems like it would be easy to get quite a few tracked down, I also wonder who has the latest registered car on the forum!

90% of them also seem to have no optional extras so would be great to here of any uniquely specified examples.

So Far….

DE05 EZH - Crystal Blue - March 2005
ST05 EDR - Akoya Silver - March 2005
GU05 YSK - Dolphin Grey - March 2005
YE05 WCL - Akoya Silver - June 2005
SR05 EXF - Ebony Black - July 2005

Last edited:
So I know there isnt anything particularly ‘Special’ about them other than being last off the line but is there a register of Special Editions anywhere? Seeing as there were only 600 odd seems like it would be easy to get quite a few tracked down, I also wonder who has the latest registered car on the forum!

90% of them also seem to have no optional extras so would be great to here of any uniquely specified examples.

I will start with my old car and new car both Special Editions.

YE05 WCL - Akoya Silver - June 2005
SR05 EXF - Ebony Black - July 2005
Evening,

I never actually knew there were so little Special Editions produced.

Project 250:
GU05YSK - Dolphin Grey - March 2005

Nothing unique about this one in terms of factory optional extras. It’s had a few retrofitted though.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening,

I never actually knew there were so little Special Editions produced.

Project 250:
GU05YSK - Dolphin Grey - March 2005

Nothing unique about this one in terms of factory optional extras. It’s had a few retrofitted though.

Kind regards,

Tom
Just had a look at your thread Tom, the car is looking great! Also looks like yours had the option 15 inch wheels at the time

Evening Chris,

Yes it did and it is still wearing them too. I’m close to swapping them for Pepperpots to get these rare 15 wheels refurbished.

Kind regards,

Tom

@Andrew has a very late one if I remember, sure he'll be along to confirm soon.

I can add MW05VPF in Brilliant Black to the list, sadly deceased in 2018 following cambelt failure, but its mechanical parts are directly responsible for keeping at least three other A2s roadworthy and two of those mobile at all.

I have ST05EDR March 05 Akoya Silver
It had no factory options but had a towbar fitted at the dealer after around 6 months.
It's since had some options added.

Good Afternoon,

As Ian mentioned I do indeed have a 55 plate, registered 01/09/2005, but not unique by any means knowing of at at least three other members with the same. I have a vague memory of 18 DVLA registrations on a 55 plate or was that just Sport, can't remember.

I have have seen many trade adverts trumpeting Special Edition which makes me think this must be listed in the paperwork somewhere, most likely the log book, but not on mine, states 'A2 FSI Sport'. I wonder if the original buyer opted for any extras it ceased to become Special Edition, like mine which has factory PDC. The question is exactly what defines a Special Edition status?

image.jpeg

Andy

Our only Special Edition is marked as such on the registration document...
IMG_20210603_164824.jpg

One of our SE is marked as such, our 90 SE isn't listed as SE.
IMG_20210603_165158.jpg

Very interesting indeed, I am sure they stopped selling the 1.6, 1.4 90 and SE/Sport trim in the UK late 2004

By early 2005 the only model you could buy new in the UK was the Special Edition - this was just a base spec car with climate control and concert CD as standard - Not special in spec but special as they sold them for under a year unlike all the other A2 trim level and engine combos,

I would suspect your car was built in 2004 and not registered Until much later on, only way would be able to get the actual build date from the VIN number I think.

Chris

Good Afternoon,

As Ian mentioned I do indeed have a 55 plate, registered 01/09/2005, but not unique by any means knowing of at at least three other members with the same. I have a vague memory of 18 DVLA registrations on a 55 plate or was that just Sport, can't remember.

I have have seen many trade adverts trumpeting Special Edition which makes me think this must be listed in the paperwork somewhere, most likely the log book, but not on mine, states 'A2 FSI Sport'. I wonder if the original buyer opted for any extras it ceased to become Special Edition, like mine which has factory PDC. The question is exactly what defines a Special Edition status?

View attachment 81315

Andy

A Yellow one!! Now that is special and I think 1 of 1?
I've seen that very car at a previous social, and I'm sure Dave won't mind me confirming it's a yellow Colour Storm like mine, one of about 90 known yellow ones registered. Colour Storm was only a paint option rather than a trim option so it doesn't get mentioned as such on the logbook. There were however two known all-over-yellow cars registered before Colour Storm was launched. @Imola Yellow has one, which holds the UK mileage record for an A2 by a very long way, @mrbroons had the other as a project, not sure where that one is now.

I would suspect your car was built in 2004 and not registered Until much later on, only way would be able to get the actual build date from the VIN number I think.

Chris
Good Evening,

My car has VIN WAUZZZ8Z65N000662, the 5 before the N denotes a build year of 2005 I understand.

Andy

I've seen that very car at a previous social, and I'm sure Dave won't mind me confirming it's a yellow Colour Storm like mine, one of about 90 known yellow ones registered. Colour Storm was only a paint option rather than a trim option so it doesn't get mentioned as such on the logbook. There were however two known all-over-yellow cars registered before Colour Storm was launched. @Imola Yellow has one, which holds the UK mileage record for an A2 by a very long way, @mrbroons had the other as a project, not sure where that one is now.
Project Exclusive went to a new home up North to be completely overhauled, I'm sure it will appear again at some point, it ran beautifully!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8tPnWUHmCPdXZWjAkSNfMnFA1Jtn3C_Z

Capture1.JPG

Back