Stone chip in window...

L.Hurst

Whilst driving on motorway today a large object hit my windscreen. (im guessing it was a stone, but I think it might of come from other side of motorway)
I now have a large bullet chip right in the middle of my window (and in my line of vision, its about 1.5cm and slight cracking away) I know my insurance covers a new screen for £75 but that will increase the premium as it will count as a claim. wont it?
Would the next option be to buy a new windscreen? does anyone know how much?
and as i have the opensky option, would it cost more to fit and replace?

Has anyone had the same problem?

thanks
L.Hurst

You might want to look at a thread from 18 August "How Many Windscreens Have You Had" which covered the topic of screen damage in some depth.

Before taking any action check your insurance. If you are fully comp you might be able to have the chip repaired free but it will depend on the size and location. I had one mended that was close to my line of sight but I don't know what the legal limits are so you might want to get it looked at for an opinion. A repair (which is virtually invisible) doesn't usually affect your no claims.

Most insurers are linked to a certain national screen repairer but a lot of club members do not recommend them for complete screen replacements as you will see if you read the thread mentioned above. However chip repair is done in situ so the surrounding frame should be quite safe.

Brian

Don't think it increases your premium, not sure though I had one on my insurance. I didn't have any problems with my fit at RAC windscreens.

I have had my windscreen fixed by Autoglass, and everything seems to be fine, no problems like explained in other posts.
Also found out that my previous windscreen was not fixed properly and not even glued down on the one side, leaving the window 5mm raised on the top.
Everything fine now tho.

Thanks for the advise and replies.

welsh_wallace

I Had a stone chip repaired while i was shopping at Asda
guy on mobile stand .
He just asked for insurance details it did'nt affect my No claims
and it went through the MOT ...

The moral is get a small chip repaired as soon as possible before it becomes a big-un. It might save you a total screen replacement :)

Cheers,

Brian

Hi L Hurst
I actually repair screens for a living in my Audi A2! 50mpg helps us to keep the costs down to our customers!
If you are down London way I would be happy to do a really professional job for you. I did offer a special rate for members for £35 some months ago. There are more pit falls than you would ever imagine to getting this done as we get to deal with the aftermath of bodged jobs done by large replacement companies all day. We have been doing it for 21 years now and were one of the first companies to bring it into the UK. If moderator will allow please check our site as i do believe it is absolutely relevant to your question and it will give you many useful pointers www.glassdoctors.co.uk. If not send me a private message and i will send you the details of my colleage in Bristol which is the nearest i can get. or one of my guys goes to Swindon on the weekends too. Let me know who your insurer is so i can advise you as to the best procedure to get your money back from them as most repairs are normally free through us.
Regards
The Glass Doctor

Thanks for the reply,
I had it done at autoglass through my insurance, but I will deff keep that in mind.

Thanks

L.Hurst

Back