Suggest a spare wheel please.

Ken Long

Our A2 has what I believe are 15" TT alloys (but I stand to be corrected!). Tyre size is 175/60R15.
There is no spare, just the compressor and a bag of 21 year old sealant under the boot floor. Therefore I am wondering about the wisdom of purchasing a spare wheel/tyre. I don't know that it has to be a matching wheel, it will be a spare and would be swapped out once the punctured tyre was replaced. So an inexpensive solution if you can suggest one?
A2 wheel.jpg

Is the boot floor capable of taking a space saver or other spare and tools required due to the battery position?
BW
Wayne

Our A2 has what I believe are 15" TT alloys (but I stand to be corrected!). Tyre size is 175/60R15.
There is no spare, just the compressor and a bag of 21 year old sealant under the boot floor. Therefore I am wondering about the wisdom of purchasing a spare wheel/tyre. I don't know that it has to be a matching wheel, it will be a spare and would be swapped out once the punctured tyre was replaced. So an inexpensive solution if you can suggest one?View attachment 100366
You could probably find a suitable steel wheel and tyre from a VW Polo or Fox in a local dismantlers. There are a few on ebay around £25 but local breakers would be my first port of call.
If you have the false boot floor, a spare will fit underneath that.

No false floor, just a hatch in to the battery/tool area. Are false floors retro-fittable?
Do the wheels have to have a specific offset or anything?

No false floor, just a hatch in to the battery/tool area. Are false floors retro-fittable?
Yes the false floor can be introduced, the complete kit to include the side panels are about £120 on here when available.
Cheers
Ami

Hi Ken, false floors are retro fittable, sure there will be guide on here of a post with how to do it on the site somewhere - @A2Steve or @Clackers may be able to sort you with the parts to do it properly. on one of my A2's i've not got around to the proper job, instead i have put the spare wheel in the boot and sat a false floor ontop with packing to one side to fill the gap, it works fine. the wheels you have fit in the boot under the false floor when fitted with 175/55/15 tyres. I have quite a few of these wheels here - if you need one I can sell you one for £20 plus postage just send a message if interested and i can send some photos etc. cheers nod.

I have false floor, and a standard alloy with tyre fits. I'll post a pic later. My 9 spoke sports don't fit though.
Mac.

Those are standard A2 lightweight wheels, of excellent quality. Just look for one further matching wheel, and then the false floor kit, and you'll be fine.

I have some where in the workshop, a false floor kit, but I am sure no side panels, though you can cut a line in the area on your side panel the plastic cover that is part of the kit will cover the cut very easily, depending how good you are with a blade.
I will dig it out & take a picture.

VAG parts departments might still be able to get new steel 5.5Jx15 ET34 rims that would be ideal for a spare when fitted with the standard 175/60R15 tyre size, or take the opportunity to change to a more common and cheaper tyre size such as 175/65R15 on all five wheels.

8Z0601027
28Z0601027Steel rim5,5JX15H2 ET34
5/100
4PR-C3VFrom €330.98
8Z0601027 03Crally black

Vredestein Quatrac 175/65R15 84H

Last edited:
He would be a lot better off taking @nod s offer of identical light weight alloy as spare 15". at £20 plus postage. It is exactly the same I believe as the picture of the wheel on his car above & much lighter/robust than a steel wheel.

Thanks everyone for your help here. @nod I think I'll take you up on your offer. If you are able to send a pic and give me an idea of postage costs that would be great. @Ami A picture of the floor would be great, thank you!

Thanks everyone for your help here. @nod I think I'll take you up on your offer. If you are able to send a pic and give me an idea of postage costs that would be great. @Ami A picture of the floor would be great, thank you!
I am at the workshop tomorrow, will try to get you a picture, what is the colour of your interior to see if you would need a grey or black false floor.

He would be a lot better off taking @nod s offer of identical light weight alloy as spare 15". at £20 plus postage. It is exactly the same I believe as the picture of the wheel on his car above & much lighter/robust than a steel wheel.

The fourth post down in the following thread states, "My system shows 8Z0601025AZ33 being 6.7kg each"

I doubt the weight of the equivalent specification 5.5Jx15 ET34 steel rim is much different to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ami
Back