TDi flexi exhaust pipe failure.

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
Yes I know @froggy has a good thread on this subject but leaving my car three days in Lancs, assuming I can get home and get back for it is not pushing my buttons. After a 400 mile blast when Little Dog exceeded 60 mpg for the first time ever he blew his flexi.
My question is, does anybody have any experience of this product? Reviews appear good.

Think Paul Depronman used this but welded it rather than clamped

I have bought the weld on one but have yet to replace it although every day brings "that day" closer!

These work well enough for what they cost. You'd be better off getting it welded in than using the clamps.

However, if your flexi has failed because of a blockage further down the exhaust, you need to deal with that. The fact that you've achieved 60mpg for the first time ever with a blown flexi very much suggests that your silencers are corroded internally and need replacing.

It can prove significantly cheaper in the long term if you have a stainless exhaust system built for your A2.

Think Paul Depronman used this but welded it rather than clamped

I have bought the weld on one but have yet to replace it although every day brings "that day" closer!
Yes I saw Depronmam had fitted something similar. Welding is 100% preferred but I don’t have the capability.

Last edited:
These work well enough for what they cost. You'd be better off getting it welded in than using the clamps.

However, if your flexi has failed because of a blockage further down the exhaust, you need to deal with that. The fact that you've achieved 60mpg for the first time ever with a blown flexi very much suggests that your silencers are corroded internally and need replacing.

It can prove significantly cheaper in the long term if you have a stainless exhaust system built for your A2.
I don’t think there is a blockage further down. I think it had failed due to a soggy dog bone caused by oil leaks allowing the engine to rock about. Add 170 k miles and I think it has held out as best it could.

Yes I know @froggy has a good thread on this subject but leaving my car three days in Lancs, assuming I can get home and get back for it is not pushing my buttons. After a 400 mile blast when Little Dog exceeded 60 mpg for the first time ever he blew his flexi.
My question is, does anybody have any experience of this product? Reviews appear good.
Is there nobody at all closer to you in Yorkshire who can weld it? I doubt the clamps would work for long if at all. If not, I think it can probably be done same day, if you can arrange to drop Little Dog off early and possibly make a sightseeing day trip out of it? That’s if the trains and buses are not on strike! Mine took a few days only because he had to fit it around other jobs and I couldn’t wait for a slot.

@froggy I'm undecided yet about welding or just clamping on the replacement flexi. For £26 I thought I would get one ordered and see what arrives and then make a decision.

I definitely need one one though, soot can be seen where the flexi has cracked:

IMG_0446.jpg

In anticipation of the job being a DIY job I have detached the exhaust at the turbo. Probably the most difficult 4 nuts I've had to tackle on the A2.

IMG_0445.jpg

Hi, have just done this job on my A2 whilst on a big European trip. It started to sound worse somewhere in Germany. Thanks to the wonderful A2 community I met up with a Hungarian member Gyorgy in Budapest and he introduced me to a great mechanic Aron. The local parts shop had these on the shelf and also a joining clamp as the pipe has to be cut halfway along the car in order to remove the front section of the exhaust system with the flexi and catalyst. Yes, a bit of a fiddle removing the four nuts on the turbo but the rest was straightforward. The new flexi was welded into place and is good for the next 20 years now! Secret is to find a competent welder and mark the rigid pipes either side of the flexi so that it goes back together in the same alignment. I think I may bring some flexis back with me!

Attachments

• A7418DA5-C35B-46FC-BFAE-1D62E0F415FA.jpeg
    A7418DA5-C35B-46FC-BFAE-1D62E0F415FA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 182
  • F4B5AD25-A624-40D1-9453-D01D2A77B9D6.jpeg
    F4B5AD25-A624-40D1-9453-D01D2A77B9D6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 161
  • C6D472C9-7450-4010-9B2F-51F78F96A75C.jpeg
    C6D472C9-7450-4010-9B2F-51F78F96A75C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • 50F38A75-3303-4057-9F0A-F8BEF242C9AE.jpeg
    50F38A75-3303-4057-9F0A-F8BEF242C9AE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
  • 6A12ABB1-95E5-4205-82E7-0A5DD32A8864.jpeg
    6A12ABB1-95E5-4205-82E7-0A5DD32A8864.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 194
Having found nothing before I posted I have now found this https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/flexi-exhaust-leak-on-tdi.34627/ & this https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/tdi-exhaust-flexi.43221/ . Looks like I have set myself a bit of a task.
You’ve already managed the hardest part!! I was turned away by 4 different welders because of those studs - if you had broken them it’s curtains.

I’m sure you can find a good welder now, fairly cheaply, to put the flexi in - the whole reason I struggled was because nobody would touch it on the car. Even the guy who eventually agreed, turned me down to begin with. Now you have it out, I urge you to take it to a good welder who can do it on their bench - as depronman said in his guide, it needs a bit of fettling to fit - if you don’t have the experience of welding, take the easy option.

I’m incredibly impressed you detached it yourself though, if you do decide diy it, you would have a steady queue of club members wanting replacement flexi’s 🤣

I don’t think there is a blockage further down. I think it had failed due to a soggy dog bone caused by oil leaks allowing the engine to rock about. Add 170 k miles and I think it has held out as best it could.
Sadly the dog bone mount is placed just right collect oil from above. Plus it's covered over for inspection!

You’ve already managed the hardest part!! I was turned away by 4 different welders because of those studs - if you had broken them it’s curtains.

I’m sure you can find a good welder now, fairly cheaply, to put the flexi in - the whole reason I struggled was because nobody would touch it on the car. Even the guy who eventually agreed, turned me down to begin with. Now you have it out, I urge you to take it to a good welder who can do it on their bench - as depronman said in his guide, it needs a bit of fettling to fit - if you don’t have the experience of welding, take the easy option.

I’m incredibly impressed you detached it yourself though, if you do decide diy it, you would have a steady queue of club members wanting replacement flexi’s 🤣
Yes, two gave way to a wire brush and a good soak in penetrating oil. The other two were not going to yield and were blitzed with oxy to the point of melting.
I also used 1/4 drive tools, I figured it would not be possible to shear the studs off with such small tools.

Last edited:
The eBay flexi finally arrived and it looks quite a good quality comprehensive kit, pipe sizes are correct and good value for money too.

IMG_0450.jpg

There is a problem though; I don't think it fits, there is an exhaust hanger in the way and just bent pipe in front of it, I'll cut the exhaust after the cat and remove the front section for a better assessment.

I can confirm this item would require more than fettling to get it to fit. The female clamp connections require a length of male straight pipe approximately 25mm long as indicated by my thumb to clamp and seal:

IMG_0451.jpg

There is no straight pipe either side of the original Audi flexi for the new flexi to clamp onto. I can't find any orientation that will work:

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

It may be possible to carefully remove the old flexi leaving a short section of straight pipe to clamp onto. Unfortunately then the angle of the longer connection would be wrong putting the flex at the wrong angle and the turbo flange would be about 30mm too high.

I would advise you all to avoid this product.

I can confirm this item would require more than fettling to get it to fit. The female clamp connections require a length of male straight pipe approximately 25mm long as indicated by my thumb to clamp. There is no straight pipe either side of the original Audi flexi for the new flexi to clamp onto. I can't find any orientation that will work:. It may be possible to carefully remove the old flexi leaving a short section of straight pipe to clamp onto. Unfortunately then the angle of the longer connection would be wrong putting the flex at the wrong angle and the turbo flange would be about 30mm too high.

Have you ruled out finding someone to weld the new flexi section in for you?

Back