TDi Fuel filter drain plug thread..

allypug

A2OC Donor
Changed the fuel filter on my TDi t'other day, I had a Deproman filter drain plug ready to go back in, BUT.. I hadn't done the filter before and was expecting a plastic thing in there. I was surprised to find a fine threaded metal screw/plug that took a 5 or 6mm allen key to undo (it was damn tight!) the thread was smaller, and finer pitch than the Deproman offering (very well made BTW)
Are there differences in the filter housings/ drain plugs on the Diesels? Or maybe I've got a convincing looking made up part.. looks pretty OEM though!

When me and my lad did his we found that the bolt was very similar to what you have explained, we changed the filter and just put it back together.

As far as I know there are only two filters, the earlier 'canister' filter fitted upto around 2003, then the latter black ABS plastic housing with the very weak plastic drain screw. It is the latter housing that I make the replacement screw for.
I have only ever seen the plastic screw in the latter housing, I would not have expected that Audi would change the design in the two years that it was fitted to the A2, and as such anything other than the plastic screw will be an aftermarket solution (like my drain screw is)
The design is actually very good, in that unscrewing it a couple of turns allow any water to be drained from the fuel system and should be done periodically, what was very wrong was the choice of materials that the screw is made from.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul, i have seen a different lid to the plastic filter housing that does indeed have a round adapter that sits inside the hex to "tighten" the cover that contains a small allen grub screw that acts as a drain. Filter cover although fitted was not for an A2 but can't remember what car it was for. But OEM as you stated either canister or your brilliant drain plug on the plastic ones.

Paul, i have seen a different lid to the plastic filter housing that does indeed have a round adapter that sits inside the hex to "tighten" the cover that contains a small allen grub screw that acts as a drain. Filter cover although fitted was not for an A2 but can't remember what car it was for. But OEM as you stated either canister or your brilliant drain plug on the plastic ones.
so a bit of cross VAG platform going on then :)

Been a while but think it looked a bit like this

Interesting! no separate drain screw on mine, just a one piece metal piece with the 2 O-rings on it. The big plastic cap looks the same though.

The one pictured is the original plastic screw which breaks when you look at it

If your is aluminium and has a 36mm plastic nut bonded to it then it’s one of my replacement screws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A question.

I intended to change the fuel filter in my TDI but I have read the problems with the screw ... If the screw breaks when trying to loosen it, will it run out of fuel? Or I just can't remove the filter and can I continue using the car until I get the screw from depronman?

I don't want to start doing it and if it breaks, having to leave the car on the road (but I have serious problems of lack of fuel between 2500 and 3500 rpm) :(

If you break the screw getting it out then you will not be able to get a seal and it will leak diesel and draw in air causing the engine to stop and you will not get it to start again as no fuel will be pulled to the engine due to the air leak

Paul

Filter replaced.

Cutted the edge of the 10mm screw and then unscrew the base of the filter (with 10mm screw on it).

The change of the car is big. There are no more jerks and is more powerful. Idle is softer.

Very happy :D

No, the screw does not unscrew.

I will try to find a new filter housing cover in a breaking store and put the metal screw for the next filter change. The car runs fine now ?

Ok it sounds like you are sorted for a short time. The reason for the screw is so you can drain a little fuel every six months to allow any water to be removed. The filter is the lowest point of the fuel systems so the water will gather at the bottom of the filter housing. Hence the drain screw allows you to run off a little liquid. Water will come out first then diesel
Without a working screw it’s impossible to do this

Great to see that my original diagnosis of a clogged filter was at the heart of your running problems
As you sister got the ecu and stalk and loom ok ?

Cheers. Paul

Hello Paul.

Yes, the diagnosis was absolutely perfect. and it was something that worried me.

and yes, everything has already arrived to my sister who will send it to me this weekend. I really want to try the car with the new Ecu, which is sure to be better. I use the car mostly for trips to 75mph

greetings and thank you very much!

Back