Tdi90 tandem pump options

cheechy

A2OC Donor
After being prepared to replace the pump a couple of years ago then finding out it wasn't faulty, the pump now has indeed started to leak.

Looking at the options id rather avoid the faff of fitting a Bosch pump as it looks like I can't find a spacer from a breaker. Luk don't look too be available new any more so what options are there? Anyone got experience of fitting "lesser" brands from the likes of meat & Doria, febi or pierburg? Do they fit direct?

Do I buy refurbished or is that a false economy?

Really need to take action on this before I've got pipes to source also. Thanks

Last edited:
After being prepared to replace the pump a couple of years ago then finding out it wasn't faulty, the pump now has indeed started to leak.

Looking at the options id rather avoid the faff of fitting a Bosch pump as it looks like I can't find a spacer from a breaker. Luk don't look too be available new any more so what options are there? Anyone got experience of fitting "lesser" brands from the likes of meat & Doria, febi or pierburg? Do they fit direct?

Do I buy refurbished or is that a false economy?

Really need to take action on this before I've got pipes to source also. Thanks

Refurbed will not be a long term solution and I have not heard anything good on the ‘other’ brands so best keep to LUK or Bosch

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is the leak? You could buy a repair kit from Darwen Diesels:

Give them a ring.

RAB

Yup so WOM did their best to repair the current original LUK tandem pump as they could not source a BHC / ATL compatible pump. This reflects the situation talked about in the original post where i could not seem to find an LUK as it appears they are NLA. Repair is holding at least for now and I'm hoping it will give me decent return. Marcus mentioned they will potentially look at seal refurb kits if the lack of supply sustains (as we expect it to).

So either you repair (and there may be doubts about the longevity of this as Paul has pointed out) or get hold of the AMF pump and extension. Suspect the extention supply will be the big problem so it may be the case that an alternative machined from scratch version (or even a ABS 3d print option?) may have to be looked at. Questions though around the supply of the alternative pumps may come into question eventually.

Oh the pleasures of owning a car that was made almost 20 years ago!

Last edited:
Depronman machines the extension pipe in return for your spacer tube, this elongates the ASV to alow a Bosch pump. THis looks the best option. Surpirsed we cant use a pump from another car like polo, lupo and other 3Pots or a 130BHP golf tdi of the era?

Surprised we cant use a pump from another car like polo, lupo and other 3Pots or a 130BHP golf tdi of the era?
You can. The tandem pump on the A2 1.2Tdi is the same as that on a Lupo 3L, except that they are both LHD. To put a Bosch pump on both, you just need to use Allen screws as there is insufficient space for a socket.

RAB

Has anyone tried a Pierburg tandem pump on a RHD A2? there are new Pierburg pumps available on Autodoc and Ebay at about the same price as Bosch.

You may be able to judge by the photos whether they will fit.

RAB

Depronman machines the extension pipe in return for your spacer tube, this elongates the ASV to alow a Bosch pump. THis looks the best option. Surpirsed we cant use a pump from another car like polo, lupo and other 3Pots or a 130BHP golf tdi of the era?

I think you need 2 extensions - the one already on and another you need to buy and then supply to be machined.

Has anyone tried a Pierburg tandem pump on a RHD A2? there are new Pierburg pumps available on Autodoc and Ebay at about the same price as Bosch.

You may be able to judge by the photos whether they will fit.

RAB

I think WOM ordered this one to fit on the car last week and it was the same as the Bosch - ie the air inlet pipe to the turbo wasn't long enough so the pump fouls on the pipe. I think Autodoc are listing compatible pumps for LHD rather than RHD by the looks of things but I may be wrong.

Last edited:
I think WOM ordered this one to fit on the car last week and it was the same as the Bosch - ie the air inlet pipe to the turbo wasn't long enough.
Couldn't you just extend the (presumably) rubber pipe?

RAB

Couldn't you just extend the (presumably) rubber pipe?

RAB

yes I guess so - rather than using an additional extension piece from scrapped BHC and ATL cars there may be mileage in a new silicon pipe via Timmus with the connector that Paul has produced into the ASV.

@depronman any mileage in this?

I think you need 2 extensions - the one already on and another you need to buy and then supply to be machined.

Correct you need one extra extension spacer. A member as had a suitable extension fabricated but the cost to do this will be much higher than I charge to machine a spare extension part, but it may well come to this when the supply of spare extension parts dries up

Paul

yes I guess so - rather than using an additional extension piece from scrapped BHC and ATL cars there may be mileage in a new silicon pipe via Timmus with the connector that Paul has produced into the ASV.

@depronman any mileage in this?

No you miss the point of the extra extension part which is cut in half and the parts rotated 45 deg then joined back together. The need is to push the ASV farther away from the engine to allow the bulkier Bosch pump to clear the side of the ASV
Extending the rubber / silicon pipe would not help with this issue

It would however be possible to use a standard extra spacer (without me machining it) which as the affect of turning the ASV through 45 deg. This is a problem if using the standard rubber pipe due to the pre set angle of the rubber pipe but if you where to use my stub end adaptor to fit into the ASV then the silicon pipe can be attached to the stub end adaptor due to being able to set the pipe angle as needed

Paul

Further to the question of a 3D printed abs spacer for the ASV this was thought off some years ago but discounted as the ASV is fairly heavy and would be supported by only the abs part which I would not like to trust long term not to mention the heat softening the printed abs. All in all a no no on some many levels

Paul

Further to the question of a 3D printed abs spacer for the ASV this was thought off some years ago but discounted as the ASV is fairly heavy and would be supported by only the abs part which I would not like to trust long term not to mention the heat softening the printed abs. All in all a no no on some many levels

Paul

I do have a friend with extensive knowledge in 3d printing and fairly advanced equipment he has built from the ground up - there are much stronger materials out there now that can be 3d printed.

If there is a design that can be shared i could approach him with it to see if he can come up with ideas on what materials to use?

I have been through this already with the boffins at baesystems (where I work) and other than metal 3D printing which is eye wateringly expensive there is nothing on the market today that will work

Paul

I have been through this already with the boffins at baesystems (where I work) and other than metal 3D printing which is eye wateringly expensive there is nothing on the market today that will work

Paul

Right ok so we're saying poly carb carbon fibre wouldnt do the job here? Its pretty strong stuff

It was a carbon fibre industrial 3D printing material that we discussed and when I showed the guys what it would be holding and the fact that there is no other support for the weight of the ASV other than the mounting tube that would be 3D printed there conclusion was not a hope in hell of that working

The main draw back with 3D printing is the weakness of the bonds across the layers of plastic The plastic itself can be really strong but the layers simply split apart
At the end of the day the part would need to have a good level of confidence of working long term to go to all the trouble of making it and there was near to zero confidence of it working. In simple terms it didn’t look right. And in practice that means it will rarely work out well if it doesn’t look right

Paul

Back