To buy or not...

matt108

Spotted '04 A2 1.6 FSI SE locally and the car got me interested so much that I found this forum and decided to register/ask - hello everyone!

I always wanted A2... Also happens I'm currently after a "new car"...

The A2 that am looking at has done 115k miles with /some/ service history. It comes cheaply. Requires few bits done for MOT and I'm a little handy with servicing/repairing my cars. I estimate around £150-200 to fix all known to me issues.

So is this A2 worth it? Or should I wait/look around for low(er) mileage example? I must admit I don't like diesel engines tho (I read on here the FSI is like semi diesel but it drinks petrol so fine with me haha).

Are these 1.6 FSI good engines? Bullet proof, or not so?

How is the new/used parts supply chain?

Thanks, Matt

There will be some proper FSI experts along shortly but the FSI is the wild child of the A2 engine family and is almost always trouble at some point.

No parts issues though!

Simon.

Hi. The fsi certainly isn't the most easiest of car to work on. And parts are specific to the audi range and can be expensive. Unlike the 1.4 tdi which is shared amongst the polo and lupo. But that said it is an A2 what spec has it got? Check out the cars for sale ads on this site to give u a rough idea of pricing.
Best of luck
Steve

Hi Matt,

The 1.6 FSI has a reputation for being fickle and a capacity to quickly empty your wallet, but having said that I have had a FSI for eight years, never let me down, starts first time and has only incurred one major expenditure apart from routine servicing. It is the 1.4 petrol that has a reputation of being bullet proof, engine used in other VAG models and well understood by mechanics.

Back to the car that has invoked your interest. Pound to a penny it will have the flap problem, needs scanning. Days of reading on here about the FSI flap weakness. With work needed to get it through the MOT, with that mileage (2/3 life) it is not worth much more than £500 and that is assuming reasonable bodywork and interior and a fairly standard spec.

Ask away.

Andy

Thanks all for replies. Much appreciated.

I did not expect to have so extensive answers within so little of time wow!

My top requirements re A2 are just two things: a reliable engine, and one which as easy as possible to work on as I'll be working on it myself most of time and I'm not a pro. Servicing/repairing cost is also a big factor.

Good to know the TDI engines share parts with Polo/Lupo. Maybe it's time for me to come back to a diesel engine(?).

Few more questions tho: do some models come with "extra" features like rear disc brakes, cruise control? What is best wheel size? I read 17" wheels give horrible ride quality, but folks on other threads were saying quite the opposite. I guess it's up to personal preference really.

Hi and Welcome :)

Don't discount the 3 cylinder diesel engine, try and drive one if you can, they even go well (especially with @depronman remap!)

As far as I'm aware, only the FSi came with rear discs, although a few have retrofitted them to a different model. As for cruise control, that and a host of other extras are available from our friendly retro fitters. The range is quite large.

I personally run 17's on mine and don't find the ride harsh, even on a car that's done over 215k (that's another plus point for the TDi, find the 200k club thread :) )

Hi and Welcome :)

Don't discount the 3 cylinder diesel engine, try and drive one if you can, they even go well (especially with @depronman remap!)

As far as I'm aware, only the FSi came with rear discs, although a few have retrofitted them to a different model. As for cruise control, that and a host of other extras are available from our friendly retro fitters. The range is quite large.

I personally run 17's on mine and don't find the ride harsh, even on a car that's done over 215k (that's another plus point for the TDi, find the 200k club thread :) )

Nope tdi 90 atl also has rear discs...

Hi Matt. I think there's a model comparison guide somewhere on this forum. Optional extras include Bose audio, electric rear windows, front fogs/ climate control (certain models had standard), auto dim rear mirror, winter pack, leather interior, sports front seats, rear bench, open sky roof, chorus, concert, symphony and rns head units (latter 2 are double din)

Hi @stevec

I'm new here although spent all day reading various stuff as I was too busy for actual work LOL

Still looking around here for the 'sales' section. Will use Google search to find it.

There is an x forum members car for sale on ebay and finishes in about 12hrs time. I don't know much about car and am no way connected in sale. But it is a tdi on a 04 plate is in akoya silver and does have a nice votex bodykit fitted to it. Buy it now price. Car has covered 144k

just found it on eBay. Unfortunately getting to King's Lynn from North East isn't going to be quick or convenient I'm afraid. currently having nothing to drive and I don't want to rush buying A2 if that makes sense.

Totally agree with u. But at least it gives u an idea of what's out there for the money. There might be a forum member close to where u live. Worth a try?

I think in order to find a good A2 these days you will definitely need to travel. Mine came from Bournemouth, and I live in East Midlands...

No, no, I'm willing to travel. But I have a rule of easy/direct route by public transport to get to the car. King's Lynn is 3 train changes and 5 hours of my time...
PS Bought my Subaru the other day from Wantage in Oxfordshire and that was a lovely 275 mile drive back home :D

Back