Wheels being refurbished

I have just booked my 4 17" TT Ronal's in for a refurb locally at www.wheelclinic.co.uk in Northampton

Until the end of the month they have a "4 for the cost of 3" deal and a full treatment with powder-coat OEM finish and lacquered is £62.50 per corner. To have them diamond cut was £67.50 per corner, with the same offer.

So with the current offer that's £187.50 +vat for all four, including removing all tyres and re-fitting, new valves and balancing - which I didn't think was too bad at all. The staff are very helpful and pointed out the pit-falls of diamond cut wheels in our poor climate and salt-infested roads.

The wheels had been polished (but I don't think diamond cut) previously, and the lacquer had broken down and caused some very nasty looking pitting (as per the pics – the wheels had been cleaned prior to taking the photos). Two of the wheels have quite deep kerb marks, and all four have been kerbed substantially along the bead line.

I will post pics of the results when I get them back, which should be by the weekend, and I’ve been assured they’ll be as good as new. :D

Cheers

Jeff

Titanium grey (like on some S-lines A3, Q7, etc.) would look nice IMO.
Anyway, I've got the same wheels and had them refurbished too, in silver.
It's a pity that those TT rims are so heavy. You will feel a big difference in unsprung weight, and rotating weight. If affects acceleration, braking, steering, etc.
Now I'm still with my 15" winter wheels, that makes a big difference in those matters, although steering sharpness and cornering grip is not as good as with the 17"'s.
I will revert to my 17" summer wheels next week or next next neek.

All wheels back and looking as good as new.

One was buckled on the inner lip and has been fixed.

The chap I dealt with called James was really helpful

Fantastic price as I paid cash - All 4 fully stripped, powder coated to OEM spec and lacquered + the repair for £235 & the wheels were with them for 4 days.

Just need some new centre caps now.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 439
Very nice...shame they are not near me at that price...cannot leave the wheels with them for 4 days :(

I used a mobile service that completed the job in 4hrs and charged £40 plus VAT per wheel

I too looked at some of the mobile operators, however they don't have the tools that a bespoke wheel shop does (even if they claim to).

For the difference in cost, for me, it was worth making sure the end result was as perfect as it could be - I am quite picky and I would say the result is 10/10.

The centre caps now let the wheels down, and if I'm stupid enough to kerb them any time soon I'll be kicking myself.

I was lucky enough to have a set of 15’s to run around on while getting them done, so I wasn’t interested in getting them back quick – only interested in getting them back perfect.

It's my turn to get wheels refurbished :)

These are the standard 15" chrome alloys, badly corroded on the nearside. I'm having the 5 (4+spare) done in a dark bronze colour, I think it will look good against the cobalt blue (= nearly black).

So I'm back on my SE 16"s for a few days.

Hi Mike,

It would be good to get some before and after shots of the wheels, and also the important cost.
Are you having the centre’s colour coded to match.....and what colour wheel nut caps will you use??

I too suspect a dark bronze will look great against the Cobalt Blue bodywork

Looking forward to seeing them.

Cheers

Jeff

Cost is going to be quite high due to also doing the 5th wheel, and getting him to change a tyre at the same time (85+85+85+85+60+??=crikey). The state of the wheels has been an irritant for a while, so I'm looking forward to having a fresh look.

He wasn't sure about the centre caps, he's going to do them in the bronze if he can, but otherwise they'll be the original chrome instead. But the centres on the 15" are quite small.

I do have 'before' pictures, although they only show the individual wheels rather than the whole car.

One thing I'd forgotten - when he's refitting the wheels, he's also going to strip the rust off my drum brakes & paint them black.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result :)

looking good Jeff.
interesting that even those strong alloys buckle!
214/40's i imagine?

blue skies
tony

Here are the refurbished wheels - I'm very happy with the end result :)

20120531_123729.jpg20120531_123714.jpg

He also scraped the rust off the brake drum & painted them.

Kevin at wheelthing.co.uk did the work - if you say you're from the A2OC forum he'll do you a discount.

Here is the before (but with the 16" SE rims fitted). I have a picture of the 15" rims at home.

20120531_111141.jpg

There was one mishap ... I managed to lock my keys inside the boot! Just as well I had been planning to train home anyway due to a work do, I'll pick up the spare key.

Here are the refurbished wheels - I'm very happy with the end result :)

View attachment 9422View attachment 9423

He also scraped the rust off the brake drum & painted them.

Kevin at wheelthing.co.uk did the work - if you say you're from the A2OC forum he'll do you a discount.

Interesting choice of colour, I think because I've been using so much copper ease recently, they remind me of that, but also of Subaru wheels! Personally, am not so sure about the contrast between the bronze/copper colour of the wheels and your A2s dark body colour, but my opinion really isn't relevant at all; so long as you're happy that's the main thing of course! I was just wondering to myself what they'd look like on the lighter blue (i.e. the colour storm blue cars), maybe would look like to a mini Subaru!

Back