Where is the thermostat on the 1.4TDi?

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Can someone post a photo with a helpful "you are here" arrow, let the dog see the rabbit if you know what I mean?!

Heres a diagram showing the stat location etc. Maybe you could do a 'how to' guide if you decide to change the stat.

Cheers Spike

Remember the WD40 soaking on the bolts before you remove them. Looks relatively simple, good luck with it, look forward to a guide if you can knock one up.

Cheers very helpful diagrams, will make life easier when swapping! I can't visualise where that is in the engine bay though am I being thick?

Looks like an alternator in that diagram to me Dan. Reckon it is on the other side of the engine as when we were poking about I am sure there was no alternator on the passenger side.

Cheers very helpful diagrams, will make life easier when swapping! I can't visualise where that is in the engine bay though am I being thick?

If you have actually gone out to the car, removed the bonnet and engine cover then had a look round the engine bay and still can't identify the back of the alternator, the oil filter housing (with the large hex nut shape on top) and the position of the thermostat pipe as shown in the diagrams, then........ how can I put this.....

Cheers Spike

Sorry, it's dark and raining so I've not been out to the car and I've had a few glasses of wine so I may not be thinking entirely straight :)

If that's the alternator then I can imagine where it is then, shouldn't be too tricky. (famous last words!)

Happy to report a straightforward thermostat removal/ replacement this morning.
On the TDi, the only thing to work around is access to the lower 10mm bolt, as it's partly obstructed by the thermostat housing/ radiator tube, but also by the edge of the alternator. Took a few mins of wiggling to finally get the right combination of bits and angles! Other than that, it was all very easy. Here's hoping it cures my failing to hit 90C glitch (having already replaced the 4pin water temp sender).

Ah ha - did a 250 mile round trip yesterday. Engine temperature up to 90 after between 5-10mins driving and it stayed there the whole journey, both directions. Problem solved, happy boy :) Fuel gauge just past half-way mark too, so seemingly economy is improved too as that never normally happens (recently been lucky to see 200miles at half tank. Know it's a rough indication, we'll see what happens at the next refill).

Ah ha - did a 250 mile round trip yesterday. Engine temperature up to 90 after between 5-10mins driving and it stayed there the whole journey, both directions. Problem solved, happy boy :) Fuel gauge just past half-way mark too, so seemingly economy is improved too as that never normally happens (recently been lucky to see 200miles at half tank. Know it's a rough indication, we'll see what happens at the next refill).

Good to hear this which is prompting me to do the same on my other diesel (non-Audi A2) as the temperature is running very cool.

So, my previous tank before changing the stat saw me average 42mpg.
Just done a brim to brim on a new tank since changing the stat with an average of 52mpg.

Cause and effect?!

Did you have to flush the coolant prior to remove the hose and the stat or can you do it without spilling water everywhere ?

@dan

are you recording your 90deg C on the cars temp guage? or via the obd port?

mine reads 90 but is only actually 82!! via obd scanner.

john

mine reads 90 but is only actually 82!! via obd scanner.

Talking to a HVAC engineer the other month he said that some OEMs modify the temp signal to the dashboard. Customers love to see a constant 90, so that's what the dash shows as constant as possible.

I'd also interested to read a reply to jemsom's question, as this is a job I'm likely to do myself at some point in the future.

Could some one illustrate where abouts the thermostat is located and from where you gain access to it?? i.e. is it accessed from the underside or is it accessed from the top? A good how to guide would be great too :D
Cheers Nathan

Ok - at the time I had a scangauge so I was reading the temperature off that as well as the main dash gauge.

When I replaced by thermostat I also replaced the coolant temperature sender - I figured as I was going to lose some coolant I would use it as an opportuinity to drain the system and re-charge with fresh G12+ (well actually Halfords equivalent).

There is a how-to guide for changing the stat on the forum somewhere as I remember using it for my own DIY, but on the Diesel it is very straightforward. It is accessible from normal access via the bonnet - it's located at the front of the engine and is in easy reach with hands. The trickiest part of the operation was removing the pipe clips!

Ok - at the time I had a scangauge so I was reading the temperature off that as well as the main dash gauge.

When I replaced by thermostat I also replaced the coolant temperature sender - I figured as I was going to lose some coolant I would use it as an opportuinity to drain the system and re-charge with fresh G12+ (well actually Halfords equivalent).

There is a how-to guide for changing the stat on the forum somewhere as I remember using it for my own DIY, but on the Diesel it is very straightforward. It is accessible from normal access via the bonnet - it's located at the front of the engine and is in easy reach with hands. The trickiest part of the operation was removing the pipe clips!

Cheers Dan, as you look at the car is the thermostat coming off the top of the rad, I presume it does, which top hose is it located in, left or right?
Thanks Nathan

No, on the TDi, the thermostat is located down in the bottom front face of the engine block - you have to remove the hose feeding into it to gain access. Let me see if I can find the fitting guide...

Back