White Speedo dials

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

Just ordered a white speedo face for my "Special A2".

It cost me £100, but if we were tp get 10 others, they could have it at around £20 less.

I think they would want all 10 to be the same spec I assume (tdi/Petrol, DIS / No DIS)

But we could ask anyway?

If anyone is interested I could start collecting names, but best to wait until mine arrives to check out the fit / quality???

I have attached an image of the one they are doing for me (it has a "watermark" through it to protect their design.

Anyone interested?

Steve B

White A2 dials.jpg

it's been discussed at length, before. There is a list of names of A2OC members who were interested, too .... I think it was a year or so, back ..... ttry a search for it " speedo dials, white", maybe? Anyway, the dials wouled have been produced by another Firm, and I recall that they were more than £100? Now, these white dials don't have KPH, just MPH .... that's no good to me ... I travel in Europe quite a lot!

David

Hi David,

This is a German company and so KPH is not a problem.
They build them to your individual design and so you could even ask for a dual KPH / MPH speedo.

They seem good value, especially at the "bulk price"

Steve B

it's been discussed at length, before. There is a list of names of A2OC members who were interested, too .... I think it was a year or so, back ..... ttry a search for it " speedo dials, white", maybe? Anyway, the dials wouled have been produced by another Firm, and I recall that they were more than £100? Now, these white dials don't have KPH, just MPH .... that's no good to me ... I travel in Europe quite a lot!

David

Yes, search under "speedo dials" ( Oct 2012 ) ... it's interesting reading! I think that I'd be interested in white dials, dual speeds and the latest font, Is it £100, all-in?

David

Yes, search under "speedo dials" ( Oct 2012 ) ... it's interesting reading! I think that I'd be interested in white dials, dual speeds and the latest font, Is it £100, all-in?

David

HI,
My price was all in, but I suppose the more custom it is the higher the price.

Their email address is <[email protected]>

Mention my name and the owners club and they may take yours and mine into account when they are pricing the others?

Cheers
Steve B

They have despatched my dials today (quick turnaround).
So we should see just how good (or otherwise) they are on a few days.

Steve B

Mention my name and the owners club and they may take yours and mine into account when they are pricing the others?

Hi Steve .... just sent this Email :-
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hi,
I am interested in a white-dial finish to my Audi A2 cluster. I have seen an article on our A2OC forum, showing an example of this. The A2OC member is "Birchall" and his name is "Steve" He has agreed a price with you of £100 and suggests that if you produce more, then maybe the price could be less? However, whilst I could manage with exactly the same dial as is being produced for him, I would ideally require dual MPG/KPH markings, as I do a lot of driving in Europe .... And there is a more modern font used on later model Audi's? Anyway, please let me know what you can do, and the cost, please?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let's see what they come up with, Eh?

David

Hi,
I am interested in a white-dial finish to my Audi A2 cluster. I have seen an article on our A2OC forum, showing an example of this. The A2OC member is "Birchall" and his name is "Steve" He has agreed a price with you of £100 and suggests that if you produce more, then maybe the price could be less? However, whilst I could manage with exactly the same dial as is being produced for him, I would ideally require dual MPG/KPH markings, as I do a lot of driving in Europe .... And there is a more modern font used on later model Audi's? Anyway, please let me know what you can do, and the cost, please?

David

WOW, are you a journalist or something, I am impressed with the clarity of that email.

Just had a thought, will they need to know if you have DIS or not? Is the "window" the same size???

If they can do this for you that would be GREAT news and I would imagine others might want the same or similar!!!

Fantastic !!!

Steve B

They arrived today (that was quick!!!)

they look perfect, but I will have to do a trial fit and I am not taking the wife's cluster out and stripping it to do that Hers is a TDI.

The only cluster I have that I could try is the DIS cluster I have for the 1.4 petrol, so not an exact match, but should be OK to just see what it looks like.#

But the white fascia plate is very floppy? I would think that is right though as it has to be transparent, so they can't be too thick.

I will have a play with this cluster and see if I can get some pictures later.

Watch this space!

Steve B

Hi,

David
Hi David,

What did they say? Good news?

Steve B

errr, anyone know how I remove the pointers from the 4 dials?

I don't want to try pulling them like in older dials!!!

Cheers
Steve B

OOPS, I see a problem!!!

The warning lights etc are going to be fine because they have ensured that light can shine through, but they did not do the same for the Speedo and Rev numbers and segments, or the temp and fuel gauge, so at night I would be "flying blind"

I have asked them to correct this and I will see what they say. To be honest I think that white dials for the A2 are not going to work, even if they manage to get light to shine through the numbers etc that will be white light on a white face !!!! OOOPS, not sure this is going to be possible!!!!!!!!

But can anyone help me find out how to get the "pointers" off so I can at least fit the white faces so that people can see how they look?

I can't find it on Elsawin, (not surprising since I don't think even Audi would strip a cluster!)

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Spike, if Bret says there are pushed on then that is good enough for me.

I will use maximum force in that case and hope for the best!!!

Fingers crossed (I am doing that a LOT lately)

Steve B

Thanks Bret / Spike.

That was SCARY, just at the point at which I was sure I would break something, they popped off, I started with the small dials first because they needed less pressure.

The really disappointing thing is that the dials (in my view) look REALLY nice.

Shame that the illumination means they are not going to work, I will now have to try something else.

I wonder what it would look like with then numbers in Clear so they can be seen without the illumination and still illuminate of a night?

I took a shot of them fitted !!!!

White Dials.jpg

They just got back to me and they claim that they WILL work OK, so I will try in the dark.

If they DO work then I will be very happy indeed and looking at them they MIGHT just work!!!

We will see.

Steve B

Would be very strange for them to sell replacement cluster graphics that didn't allow illumination for night-driving I must say.
Take pictures again in the dark, let us see!

Would be very strange for them to sell replacement cluster graphics that didn't allow illumination for night-driving I must say.
Take pictures again in the dark, let us see!

The problem is that I am doing this on the spare cluster I bought for the TDI

So I can't try it out and my wife won't ley me strip hers down and the daughter is out in hers, so I cant really test it, unless someone can tell me how to wire up the dash lights temporarily????

Steve B

...unless someone can tell me how to wire up the dash lights temporarily???? ...

I came across a video on youtube some time ago of someone testing the unit using VDCS (I think). There was a test cycle which illuminated the warning lights & moved the needles.

I think Steve's point was that the cluster isn't from any of his cars at the moment so doesn't have a car to plug it back into!

I came across a video on youtube some time ago of someone testing the unit using VDCS (I think). There was a test cycle which illuminated the warning lights & moved the needles.

Back