"Anti hijack" feature not so anti hijack...

djmachin

I have the "lock all doors at 10mph" feature programmed and was under the impression that all the doors locked at 10mph and stayed that way until you stopped and removed the key from the ignition.

I have recently been car sharing with my wife and noticed that when she walked up to the boot to put her bag in, the boot would open. Strange I thought...

I booked a visit to Stafford Audi (much better in my opinion that my local Stoke branch). They had the car for a couple of days (lending me a nice 240bhp TT Sport for my trouble!). They had checked it against a couple of A2's in that had the same feature and they all did the same! I was told that this was "normal behaviour" on the A2 with the "anti hijack" feature. I said that this was plain daft that if that was the case, then the one place that we (using our common sense) were putting our valuables on a journey to stop oppurtunist thieves, was in fact the best place to steal from!

I asked what was going to be done about this and was told that they could open a report with Audi if I wanted. I (unsuprisingly) said yes please.

They could give me no explanation as to why this was normal. My initial thought was that some EU crackpots had deemed that this was an escape route incase of an accident but I then remembered reading somewhere that in that case, all the doors should unlock automatically.

I have since contacted Stafford Audi but there has been no news on the matter.

Has anyone else noticed this quirk or maybe can give me some sort of explaination to the reasoning behind it if it is in fact "normal"?

Thanks for your time.

Dave

Last edited:
Hello Dave,

From my experiance, this is absolutely NOT normal.

I have activated this feature on my own car and have also done so for several others who have requested it and in all cases, all doors including the boot, remain firmly locked until either the internal locking button is pressed or the key is removed from the ignition.

If you want to communicate this back to your dealer, please feel free to do so. I will await the official response form Audi with anticipation.

Cheers,

Mike

Just out of interest, ask your dealer to add 16 to the value currently stored in the central convenience module (ie if it has a current reading of 06892, it would become 06908).

This should activate the boot locking, if not already present. It's in their own workshop manual, so you would have thought they'd have known about it!

The program I use to determine the numbers automatically assumes that if you want to activate SCL (security central locking) then you will naturally want the boot locked too. Sometimes the Germans can be just a little too pedantic/precise, eh?

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for all your responses. I'm so glad I am a part of this forum. It does make me feel better knowing that there is this huge pool of knowledge available if I'm not sure about things with my A2!

Well, it is so good to hear that it isn't normal. I couldn't believe that this was their final word on it. Normal my arse! I'll take it in in the next few days and show them this thread and see what they say, although I might miss out the next bit though....

I'm starting to wonder about the engineers at Stafford Audi. I took the car in last week because of a rattle in the dash behind the speedo. They said it sounded like it was coming from the engine compartment so said it needed to come in for a couple of days in case something was coming loose.

They had the car for a week (lent me a 2 litre TDi A3) because they were short on engineers and had a backlog of jobs. I had the car back on Tuesday and the rattle is gone (result!). When I sat in my car I noticed that a deep, 3" scratch had appeared in the passenger side interior door handle and there is a 4" scratch almost to the metal work on the passenger side sill (the bit of metal work that is visible when you open the door from the outside and look straight down). I have also noticed grubby marks all the way down the white fabric bits that run down either side of the windscreen.

The guy on service (Andy) said that this shouldn't have happened and appologised. He said he would get a replacement door handle, get the scratch sorted and get the marks on the fabric cleaned. He also had a good look round the area that had been worked on to see if there was any more marks/scratches but fortunatley he found none.

I'm a bit peed off as this must have happened while the workshop were removing the dash and they either failed to notice it or thought that I wouldn't notice it. So much for the premium brand hey?

Last edited:
To activate the SCL feature (with or without the boot) requires either a trip to your dealer, or the use of a full version of VAG-COM.

If anyone in the Manchester/North West area needs anything like this doing, email me and I'll sort it out for you.

Cheers,

Mike

Result!!!

Well, I took my A2 down to Stafford Audi this morning and showed them a print out of this thread. Simon Fisher (top bloke) from the service dept said he would have one of the engineers have a look at it. Within about 10 minutes he came out with a smile saying that it had worked. Sure enough, adding 16 to the existing value worked. I was given a demo and it indeed keeps the boot locked as it should.

He couldn't really give an explanation as to why they did not know about. He thanked me and said he would write an engineers report to highlight this issue and the solutions.

Skipton01, I would like to personally thankyou for making my weekend. This has been bugging me for ages and now it is fixed. You are a star!

djmachin said:
He couldn't really give an explanation as to why they did not know about. He thanked me and said he would write an engineers report to highlight this issue and the solutions.

Skipton01, I would like to personally thankyou for making my weekend. This has been bugging me for ages and now it is fixed. You are a star!

You're very welcome - I'm not the Technical Director of this club for nothing you know ;o)

Seriously though, all the information on the correct coding of the central locking system is contained within the Audi workshop manual. It's probably just that I've actually bothered to read it (bedtime reading for the last year or so, sad but true!), whereas Audi technicians tend to stick to rigid practises as dictated by Audi UK ("oh, you can't do that sir, it's not been tested by Audi and as such we can't recommend it" - standard reply when you ask to do something slightly out of the ordinary).

Anyway, I'm glad this has put your issues to bed at last and glad to have been able to help.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
Just out of interest, ask your dealer to add 16 to the value currently stored in the central convenience module (ie if it has a current reading of 06892, it would become 06908).

This should activate the boot locking, if not already present. It's in their own workshop manual, so you would have thought they'd have known about it!

Cheers,

Mike
Just tried this using VAG-COM's recode option - tna. My original value was 06891, I added 16 which didn't work, so for the hell of it, added another 1 to make 06908 - which also didn't work!

Any ideas on why this doesn't work, or of anything I may be doing wrong? The central conveinience seems to store the value as if I come out of the module and go back in it reports the new value. Do I need to 'login' to the module before making the adjustment - if so, do you know what the code is to allow me to login?

Questions, questions, questions!!

Thanks,

Ian

Try 06911 or 06920

In between doing the recode, you must exit VAG-COM and switch off the ignition, removing the key.

Your original coding sounds a little suspect to me.

There is no login needed to activate this contoller.

If either of the above do not work, try your original coding, minus 1 (06890) I think you have a rogue digit in there somewhere.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, will try this tomorrow evening and report back

I didn't think the original coding looked right, however I had the autolocking enabled by a dealer (££) when I first got the car (my old laptop with a com port had died - hadn't got a new one back then!). Soon discovered the boot issue when I got out of the car (engine still running) and went to open the boot - which opened. It wasn't until a few minutes later when I thought 'that shouldn't have worked!'

Ian

Will have to check ours - they were specifically asked to set this up so everything locks when we got the car and have never checked the boot!

Just have to wait for it to come back since some stupid old lady failed to stop on thursday and ran into the side of it - Sandra OK, loan car is an A3 2.0 TDI on the other drivers insurance (fault admitted)!

Right, 'progress' so far!:

06891 (orig) - Autolock without boot
06908 - Autolock without boot - plus 2 stage opening (one press opens drivers door, second unlocks other doors and boot)
06890 - Autolock without boot
06920 - No autolock

:confused:

I got rained off before I could try 06911 or 06907 again

Hmmm, tougher cookie than I thought then this one.

I've attached a photo of the coding table for the A2. See if it is of any use to detemining your particular setup.

Otherwise, email me your particular engine and transmission codes, along with model year and I'll look into it.

Cheers,
Mike

Start off by working out what your car should/does have on the list, then add the numbers up.

For instance, the Tank has a coding of 07915 which is made up of 4096+2048+1024+512+128+64+32+8+2+1

Now you will see that the 16 option is not 'active' on my car, although the boot does lock via the speed central locking!

So for your car, I would suggest 4096+2048 (ALL A2s have this feature active) +512+128+64+32+8+2+1 = 06891 which is what you originally had. As you can see from the coding table, that is why I originally suggested adding 16 for the boot.

It would seem that some controllers are unable to accept certain codings, from what people are reporting. Out of interest, take a look at the part number of the controller (see the VAG-COM module 46 scan results for this) and mail it me.

Best of British,
Mike

Skipton01 said:
So for your car, I would suggest 4096+2048 (ALL A2s have this feature active) +512+128+64+32+8+2+1 = 06891 which is what you originally had. As you can see from the coding table, that is why I originally suggested adding 16 for the boot.

Best of British,
Mike
Right, finally I have this sorted. 06907 was the value that solved the problem in the end - just as you said.

Thanks very much for your help Mike, certainly couldn't have done it without you!

Ian

Hmm, so have you any idea as to why it didn't work originally?

Glad you got it sorted anyway.

Cheers,

Mike

Back