Apparent injector wiring loom fault...?

iainmd

Our wee A2 has been intermittently misfiring (but not badly) for a month and this week is stopped firing on cylinder 1 and with three loud beeps the brake, abs & esp warning lights all came on.

I have read a few posts on here and see a couple of folk with apparently similar issues and it was the wiring loom.

The garage have tested the wiring all the way to the injector and the pulse 'seems' ok but they noted that the wiring on the loom was very hard and hence quite brittle. The new loom seems to be only £40-£50 so they are going to replace that first as a new injector looks to be about £400.

Does it seem to those in the know that replacing the loom in such circumstances first is the right course of action?

Many thanks in advance for your input folks.

Iain

Hi there - did you pull any error codes at the same time?

Having had this experience myself recently, I'd say it's definitely worth changing the loom - it's highly suspect. It should take them 1 1/2 hours so make sure they're not overcharging you on the labour!

The error codes were apparently all related to ABS/ESP and pointing towards a cylinder 1 misfire but nothing more indicative than that, so I'm told.

Had the same problem with mine too - AFTER the stealer had fitted a new injector. They then diagnosed the loom and fitted it but didn't charge me.

It was fine after that.

Phil

I have recently had a similar experience and have held off at the moment.

My error code was 18074 which is 1 digit out from yours but still indicates No.1 injector.

The Garage said the cheapest route is always do the loom first as injector replacement as you say is expensive.

Keep us updated.

Regards

Roy

Excellent, glad to have another resolution on this issue! How much labour did they charge?

Excellent, glad to have another resolution on this issue! How much labour did they charge?

An awful lot since despite the fix taking a couple of hours to do they spent many more hours diagnosing the problem in the first place. I do very much like the garage I use but their insistence on being very thorough often ends up being quite costly.

Loom replaced and problem gone! We're all good again apart from my wallet ;-)

Hi

My TDI may also be developing this fault - I'm getting the ABS and Traction Control lights coming on, with some rought idling. Does anybody have the part number for the wiring loom please?

Before shelling out on the loom, it's a good idea to check that this is the cause with a diagnostic scan.

For instance, I have both traction and ABS lights on, and running is a little rough when cold, but it's nothing to do with the injector wiring - I need a new ABS unit!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Antony
Mike has a very good point. The ABS and traction lights could be caused by several things. The rough idle in cold weather is normal as the injection timing changes to compensate for the cold, increasing the diesel clatter until the engine gets hot.
If the lights stay on, consider getting a diagnostic scan done.

Cheers Spike

Im having the exact same problem, but because I have a 1.4 SE Petrol, my wiring is part of the whole engine loom, which costs £700 + vat. Gutted! Just bought the car too. Had the Cambelt changed with a full service, and the whole ignition module to try fix the fault at a cost of £570 now this! And my radio has faulty volume its either full blast or nothing!:mad::mad::mad:

Bazza for the petrol engine I would suspect a faulty ignition coil pack. They are very prone to fail and again are not too pricey and easy to replace. You need to get a scan to determine which cylinder is missing then swap the coil pack. Try that!

Thanks Spike,
But ive seen the damage to the cables, it looks like they've been repaired before, just the injector ones though. I presume with the current passing through and the heat coming from the engine the insulation split. Seems Audi made a bit of a **** up when selecting the gauge of the wires, especially as the loom sits above the engine. This is prob why they decided to split the Harness for the injectors on the TDI and possibly anything manufactured from 2002.

Im looking at trying to find a replacement loom from a scrappy or maybe attempt replacing the damaged parts of the cables.:(

A new loom is around £50 Bazza and has the benefit of a 2 year warranty.

The problem with the looms is not the wire gauge, but the choice of insulation around the wires - it does age and harden and go brittle with time, but that's because it's just a pvc sheath.

If they'd gone for a rubber version (or similar) things would probably last 10 years, not 5. But, they'd probably cost a lot more too!

Cheers,

Mike

I called Audi parts today, they recon that my A2 needs the whole engine loom as the injector harness is not separate.
I did mention that I read that it was £35 +vat, but he says thats for the TDI.:(

Hi Bazza
The TDi has a seperate injector loom only because it connects to the injectors inside the rocker cover.
Obviously we have not seen the extent of the damage to your loom but from your description I still think a good auto electrician could make a totally satisfactory repair.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back