LED Sidelights vs Philips Bluevision vs Standard Candles

To get back to basics what are the options/recommendations for a simple upgrading of dip/main beam bulbs without going Xenon/HID and all the complications that brings with it? Whilst LED lights etc sounds good also sounds like hard work for little gain and possible legal compliance issues. Mainly interested in being able to see where I am going better......

To get back to basics what are the options/recommendations for a simple upgrading of dip/main beam bulbs without going Xenon/HID and all the complications that brings with it? Whilst LED lights etc sounds good also sounds like hard work for little gain and possible legal compliance issues. Mainly interested in being able to see where I am going better......

Have a look at the AutoExpress.co.uk tests for recommendations. I used to use Osram Silverstars before I changed to xenon. As long as you remember the following, you won't go far wrong:

1. Main beam uses H3
2. Dipped beam uses H7
3. Fogs (where fitted) also use H7
4. Don't buy cheap bulbs from Ebay, as they usually are terrible quality and can cause a fire by overstressing the wiring loom.
5. Don;t buy anything with a blue coating as it will never be brighter, always dimmer.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike, I never buy anything from flea bay! was thinking of Philips Vision Plus ( or something similar) which i have read good reports of.

Yes, Philips do get good reviews and you won't go far wrong.

Also remember the quote from Blade Runner: "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long Roy" - this applies to car headlamp bulbs too!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike.

So now I know to look for individual LEDs are facing all directions and E mark.

I have neither DIS or cruise system so having less spec'ed A2 actually helps!

hard to see the dark side is

How does a kit like this compare to the cost of buying uprated halogen bulbs ?
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=17161&cat=622&page=1
I am concerned by how poor the lights are on our A2 (by modern standards) but am also considering putting high power bulbs into headlamps H7
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16782&cat=256&page=1
and possibly also fogs
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=17117&cat=254&page=1
for foggy weather only - of course :cool:
upgrading the bulbs will cost about half the price of the kit and take half as long to do but will it be only half the job :rolleyes:

thoughts please from those that have done either

I note this place state the kit to be "Our HID kits are of the highest quality, CE approved, E4 certified and MOT approved."

this seems to contradict comments on here, they go on to say "Are these HID systems road legal?

Aftermarket HID systems are not road legal due to the fact you cannot 'E' mark a bulb that is of different type to the bulb it is replacing (ie HID for halogen). Therefore we can only sell these as off road use conversions."

confused :confused:

The HID conversion kit will do the job and give you about 300% more night vision, but no H7-based xenon bulb has ever, or will ever, be 'E' marked.

The kits will give off slightly more glare than a true xenon headlamp would, but having had them fitted before I went the whole hog, they are fairly reasonable and responsible.

The car will almost certainly pass MOT and the police will not take an interest unless the glare is really bad (but then if it is, just return the kit for a refund), but ultimately, this falls into that grey area of the law as regards after-market conversion kits.

You pays your money etc.

Cheers,

Mike

PS For the record, I fitted a kit similar to this after being disappointed with even the more powerful H7 bulbs on the market. I never had any trouble from the law either.

Hi Tony & Tracy
I have fitted the Philips Xtreme bulbs and they do make a small improvement but are nothing like the benefits you get from a good quality HID conversion.
Everything I have read suggests that although the kits are not officially road legal, providing the light give off a white light and are correctly adjusted they will pass a MOT test and you are unlikely to be stopped by the law. Lights that dazzle or have the darker blue tinge will definitely stand out as not being original equipment, significantly increasing the risk of being pulled up.

Cheers Spike

PS, sorry to duplicate most of Mike's comments - our posts must have crossed in the night

Last edited:
If you go for one of these kits T&T, and there's no real reason you shouldn't, make sure that you get either 4100k or 6000k bulbs.

As well as glare, colour is becoming a problem on a lot of after-market conversions, especially those fitted to boy-racer cars! You must have seen some very blue, solid colour headlamps on old Saxo's and the like. Don't confuse this with the shimmering blue effect of a genuine xenon headlamp, which by its very nature, has a thin band of verydeep blue, as well as the bright white main part of the beam.

Because the light isn't going through a projector unit, but is being reflected by the original shell, you'll never get this deliniation effect, all the light will be of a single colour and if you get 8000k or 10000k bulbs, they'll certainly have a blue colour and make you stand out like a sore thumb.

4100k is the standard colour temperature of factory fit xenons, 6000k gives a much crisper, whiter light and is the one I chose when I had one of these kits. In fact, it's the same colour I have now in my pukka headlamps.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanx Mike & Spike, I have to do something to get more light and I prefer the idea of a HID solution rather than just buying more powerful bulbs.
I have today seen this company that fit them for a reasonable price (I think it is reasonable anyway) but need to check what the warranty covers and what K bulbs come in the kit.
http://www.vwcruise.com/7.html

Sorry to seem dumb, what have you got Mike - I presume you do not have a kit ? how did you get "pukka" units ? is the TT conversion ? if it is then that is too clever for a sponge and hammer type DIY er like myself :eek:

Hi Tony
The attached web site gives some info on HID kits and bulb 'colour temperatures' The kits they sell are expensive (over £250) and sound good - though I don't believe the bit about being approved
http://www.h-i-d.co.uk/

Cheers Spike

I too have ordered a set of the ultra LED's for side lights but have also ordered a HID conversion for the H7's and some upgraded H3's for main beam.
Will let you know the results, plan on taking some before and after pics to see if the hype is true !

Let the be light - sidelights

Ok, I am going to be really boring .....

I have taken the plunge and upgraded the bulbs on the from of our A2

started with sidelights

9 LED 501 sidelights from UltraLEDs (5500K)

You're very welcome Tony - what do you think?

I would suggest that your low beams could be raised a little, as although the illumination is far more intense and even, the reach of the light isn't what it should be really.

They do look good though!

Cheers,

Mike

Whoops! Where'd the post go?

Last edited:
Let there be light - Dipped Beams

Purchased a HID Xenon conversion kit from autobulbs, I was very nervous about the results so here are the before and after photos :rolleyes:
Make your own minds up ....
H7 Xenon HID Kit with 6000K bulbs

Fitted by our own "wizard" Mike, Thanks Mike, my technical abilities are very poor:mad:

Let there be light - Main Beams

And finally ........

back to autobulbs direct for a pair of halogen 100w main beam bulbs,
they look very yellow against the white bulbs

Back