Adding Door Keys - remote unlocking and ECU pairing of new transponder chip

• Thread starter Deleted member 20348
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20348

Hi,
Could someone please assist with the following?

There was only one key included with the red 1.4 BBY vehicle (equipped with the AF CCCU) .
Despite the fact that both of the fobs I purchased have circuit boards installed, they are not pairing with the car via VCDS. It's possible that their frequency is off. In addition, the fobs have had key blades cut and installed along with transponders. What would be required to link the transponder with the instrument cluster and ECU and the key remote with the car?
I have the Ross-Tech Hex-V2 and full VCDS.

Thanks in advance.

20240401_141101.jpg20240401_143140.jpg20240323_132611.jpg
Edit: had a quick check of the new fobs, I thought I had bought the keys with circuit boards in them but I didn't in the end. I must have changed my mind.

I have 2 other keys with a board in it which I have yet to try.

20240401_150455-COLLAGE.jpg20240401_145945-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Afternoon,

I can assist to some extent. Can we start at the beginning, what are trying to achieve?

Your current key that came with the car. Is it fully functional? (Acts as a remote key and engine starts and runs). Pictures would be good but I think I know what I will see.

Andy

For the VCDS use have a look at these 'How To's'.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and link 'How to'

Key is fully functional OEM.

20240401_155947.jpg
:)đź‘Ť

What am I trying to achieve?

I would like two extra keys that have the same functions as the OEM key. 🙏

As expected, 8Z837231D. The simplest move forward is to buy identical.

I cannot see the new fobs working, the used one works on a different MHz - no chance. and from what you say the other two are just shells.

Andy

Hi,
Beginning to understand how the keys work with the car.
434 MHz
433.92 MHz
I will buy the correct type and start the process again when they arrive.
:) đź‘Ť

Additional keys Audi part number 8Z0 837 231 D will be required.

To code to immobiliser you need virgin chips ID48, 10 can be had for ÂŁ12.50 on ebay and you need to pull the skc (secret key code) from the cluster, only ever done diesels not sure if my super vag will read the skc on petrol models?

Thanks @Howey
I did buy a pack of those ID48 glass transponders for the new keys.
20240323_132611.jpg

I read the Ross-Tech page that talks about a secret key code, workshop number and time stamp being required.

Vcds is unable to pull the skc but can code keys and remotes. I have never used it for either thou I use my supervag to pull the skc and then a Hella guttman to code the immo and remotes although supervag should be able to do both I am just not that clued up with it

@rotifer you can can just use a 5 digit SKC, so you don’t need any of that, and to get the SKC, you can also put your VCDS cable into “Dumb Mode” and then use this excellent tool: https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test

I’m not affiliated with the author, Greg, but it’s really an excellent tool that avoids having to use expensive or pirated software, with the bonus of being open source.

If you want to get the SKC of your cluster/current ECU it’s trivial and you can just use the “GetSKC” command, to get your code.

Then just follow: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_III_Key_Matching_(Cluster) (make sure you take your cable out of dumb mode)

If you want to use your new ECU, I can also share a “novel” method of getting the SKC from that one, allowing you to pair it to your car.

Hi @Howie,
That's a kind offer, there's no rush as I have purchased an Ebay 'picture cut' set of key blades and a two fobs without the internal electrics in order to get into their car if I lock myself out.
You can still purchase those magnetic key boxes to keep a key hidden under the car for emergency key inside to get you back into the car to retrieve your key without needing to call calling a locksmith or smash a window.
Thinking about it a bit, a problem would arises though if I loose my key entirely.

I'll PM you.

Hi @a-zwo,

It's a fantastic application program, and I've attempted to get it to read the cluster in both petrol and diesel vehicles, but I'm unable to acquire the SKC information.
One possibility is that the program code does not include references to the A2 clusters. Each vehicle cluster type has to be added to the program code afaik from reading the forum.
Alternatively, I could have missed something from the instructions on the github site.

Edit: Have you got it to work on an A2? I hope so

Edit:
@a-zwo has also run the program and it is unable to communicate with the A2 instrument cluster.

The scan data from my A2 using the kw1281program
C:\Users\asbea\Desktop\kw128test>.\kw1281test.exe COM5 10400 17 GetSKC
KW1281Test: Yesterday's diagnostics...Today.
Version 0.93.0-beta (https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases)
Args: COM5 10400 17 GetSKC
OSVersion: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19045.0
.NET Version: 8.0.0
Culture: en-GB
Opening serial port COM5
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Keyword Lsb $01
Keyword Msb $8A
Protocol is KW 1281 (8N1)
ECU: 8Z0920980R KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D17
Software Coding 04442, Workshop Code: 00006
Sending ReadIdent block
Sending Custom "Read Software Version" blocks
Sending Custom "Unlock Additional Commands" block
Cluster did not return software version.
Unknown cluster software version. EEPROM access will likely fail.
Sending Custom "Need Seed/Key?" block
Sending Custom "Seed request" block
Sending Custom "Need Seed/Key?" block
Failed to unlock cluster.
Saving EEPROM dump to WAUZZZ8Z35N020285_____AUZ7Z0E2716972_$0090_eeprom.bin
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $0090, Count: $10)
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $00A0, Count: $10)
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $00B0, Count: $10)
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $00C0, Count: $10)
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $00D0, Count: $10)
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $00E0, Count: $10)
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $00F0, Count: $10)
Sending ReadEeprom block (Address: $0100, Count: $0C)
*** Warning: Some bytes could not be read and were replaced with 0 ***
Saved EEPROM dump to WAUZZZ8Z35N020285_____AUZ7Z0E2716972_$0090_eeprom.bin
GetSkc: Unable to find Immobilizer ID in cluster dump.
Unable to determine SKC.
Sending EndCommunication block

Back