DUNE 3 - A2Steve

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
It was only a matter of time before I needed to start a new project.

About 5 weeks ago I agreed to buy a blue TDI Colourstorm that had been off the road a few years.

I knew very little about it, bought from one pixilated photo taken from 100 yards away. It looked to be in a sorry state but had the bits needed to make it a potential good purschase so I thought I’d take a punt.

It arrived on the back of a recovery truck while I was away in Bulgaria but was very pleasantly surprised when my mechanic friend Rob sent me some photos.

A23631C8-05CD-48E7-9F7A-BC5E09778810.jpeg

E3F8EE99-8388-439E-BD4D-D73E562B7D4C.jpeg

What appeared to be a very dirty but very straight little A2.

The best part, it has rear electric windows, double din dash, opensky and the icing on the cake (for a man with 3 kids and an A2 addiction) a bench seat with 3 full seatbelts.

I know most members would rather I just leave it well alone and don’t modify it, but that’s simply not me, I like to get creative.

It went for its MOT with no prior mechanical work done just to see how it got on. Needs offside top mount and rear brakes looking at.

Well now seeing as it was going to need the suspension leg taking out on the drivers side it made sense to change both shocks.

I’d initially gone for my normal MO and actually ordered a set of JOM blueline coilovers and shorter drop links.

At last minute yesterday I changed plans because with a family of 5 occasionally using the car and me not being very light (17 stone) I thought it best to go for my other favoured approach and decided to make the car Dune 3.

If anyone is curious as to what I mean by an A2 Dune, here’s Dune 1 and 2

E6A09BC8-42A2-4B94-BC1F-A9C433C414AA.jpeg

EE5ACD5D-92A0-4989-B952-D09FD72C88E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Rare, certainly. It's thought that only about 10% of A2's are 5-seaters. There's no arguing that it doesn't have a particular advantage alongside its drawbacks when compared to the 4-seater, but this only suited a small sector of the A2's original customer base.

I was thinking when I saw the last two Dunes that a Storm would suit that treatment really well. Looking forward to seeing this one, I think that the blue is absolutely the right colour for it too 👍

The only downside for the project is that with OSS i'm going to be unable to fit longitudinal roof bars. I was hoping that this time I would be able to find some from a different manufacturer and fix them through the metal roof.

I suppose I could use a set of factory roof bars again, because from memory they still allow the opensky roof to operate? Can anyone confirm this?

I believe you are right Steve. I’ve certainly had the Audi bars on my cars with open sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only downside for the project is that with OSS i'm going to be unable to fit longitudinal roof bars. I was hoping that this time I would be able to find some from a different manufacturer and fix them through the metal roof.

I suppose I could use a set of factory roof bars again, because from memory they still allow the opensky roof to operate? Can anyone confirm this?

If they’re OEM you’re good to go according to this thread : https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/oss-roofrack.38146/

Just had the phonecall to say that the car has just passed it's MOT with no advisories.

We are going to be using it as a family this weekend to go to Longleat safari park, so i've got a very short window to get it looking good and clean enough for family use. It hasn't been washed for 3 years, so will need a good going over.

Last edited:
Just had the phonecall to say that the car has just passed it's MOT with no advisories.

We are going to be using it as a family this weekend to go to Longleat safari park, so i've got a very short window to get it looking good and clean enough for family use. It hasn't been washed for 3 years, so will need a good going over.
Watch out for the Baboons.
Mac.

That's why we are taking an A2 rather than the family car. I have plenty of parts I can replace if the little b****rs rip things off.
Steve,
When I started my apprenticeship the Forman took his Hillman Avenger tiger & they ripped the wipers off along with
the white half vinyl roof off!!!
Keith.

Dad took us in our old Renault 16 once when I was a kid. They had the windscreen washers off - despite many mouthfuls of warm soapy water that he tried to dissuade them with. That was luckily back in the day when you could just pop into a roadside garage and get some more washer jets, I don't even think it was a Renault dealer.

B4A7A119-43AF-4A5A-9664-EA418CE7ABBB.jpeg

Good progress made today with all of the following fitted.

Far from finished but starting to take shape.

- 30mm lift all around
- 25mm spacers
- 9 spokes sport wheels with new Michelin cross climate tyres
- front skid plate
- all arches and sills painted matt black
- opensky greased
- interior cleaner
- factory headunit fitted

Before the day is out I want to paint the slatted grille matt black too and refurb the headlights.

Back