Feeling like driving on ice

minoltaman

I have been out in my A2 today, driving about 50mph on country roads I have had to be careful because my car felt it was driving on ice and I could easily have skidded off the road it just felt as I though I was not in control, was like I had no grip. The tyres are new old stock Bridgestones fitted by the previous owner could they be an issue I think I am going to have it booked into a garage to see what they can find. I thought I would ask club members first if they had any idea

I have been out in my A2 today, driving about 50mph on country roads I have had to be careful because my car felt it was driving on ice and I could easily have skidded off the road it just felt as I though I was not in control, was like I had no grip. The tyres are new old stock Bridgestones fitted by the previous owner could they be an issue I think I am going to have it booked into a garage to see what they can find. I thought I would ask club members first if they had any idea
Check pressures.
Mac.

Are the tyres at the recommended pressure? The correct pressures for different loads are listed inside the fuel filler flap. Over inflated tyres will make the steering feel lighter than it should be.
If the tyres are correctly inflated, has there been a long dry spell followed by rain in the area where are were driving? Tyre rubber builds up on dry roads and becomes slippery when wet.
Are the new old stock tyres rated for much heavier cars than the A2? If so, the sidewalls won't flex enough and would give the same effect as over inflated tyres.
And are the tyres very old? If they've not been stored properly before being fitted, the tread compound could have become hard, making them less than useful.

The tyre pressures are correct, Just looking at the spare tyre if I have got it right the age code is 4807. If this correct the tyres on the car are as follows one 16, one 05 and the rear two are 07. So even though they are new tyre’s, really the need replacing with brand new tyres that have a recent date.

An 07 and 05 manufacture i would say first step is to change for new tyres 16 and 18 years old ... it's an MOT advisory at 10 years old

There is no MOT requirement regarding date for tyres on private motor vehicles, only on commercial and passenger carrying vehicles such as mini buses and coaches.

TT wheels are perfect on an A2 and the 205/45/16 tyres on them aren't a problem either as with the TT wheels being 7J (7" wide) rather than the standard A2 wheels that are 6J you wouldn't want to have the standard A2 size of 185/50/16 on the wider TT alloys as they would be stretched a little and not really wide enough.

Tyres can be 5 years old and no good or 10 years old and perfect, all depending on how they have been stored, whether they have been kept out of direct sunlight which degrades the rubber compound and not exposed to extreme temperatures.

That said tyres that were manufactured the 48th week of 2007 or even older at 2005 certainly aren't going to be at their best but if they aren't perished where there is cracking evident between the tread and on the sidewalls and shoulders they could just need wearing in again, especially if they are new to the vehicle but if they haven't been stored correctly the rubber could be hard and brittle as others have suggested and be causing the problem.

The oversized 205/50/16 size works well on the TT wheels btw as they give a little more sidewall depth and comfort and oh don't worry about the 83 load rating as that is the lowest you will get that tyre size in, that or 87 and there is nothing wrong with an 83 load rating on an A2. Some popular non A2 sizes that people use on an A2 (185/60/15 for example) are usually only available in an 84 or 88 load rating so 84 would be the one to go for.

Always check the wet rating of a tyre before you buy them too, A is the best and buy no worse than B as to me that is the most important factor of a tyre and check the noise rating too, obviously the lower the better as no one likes noisy tyres on the motorway but also make sure they are balanced correctly (perfectly) and the pressures are right.

Hope this helps a little? πŸ‘

There is no MOT requirement regarding date for tyres on private motor vehicles, only on commercial and passenger carrying vehicles such as mini buses and coaches.

TT wheels are perfect on an A2 and the 205/45/16 tyres on them aren't a problem either as with the TT wheels being 7J (7" wide) rather than the standard A2 wheels that are 6J you wouldn't want to have the standard A2 size of 185/50/16 on the wider TT alloys as they would be stretched a little and not really wide enough.

Tyres can be 5 years old and no good or 10 years old and perfect, all depending on how they have been stored, whether they have been kept out of direct sunlight which degrades the rubber compound and not exposed to extreme temperatures.

That said tyres that were manufactured the 48th week of 2007 or even older at 2005 certainly aren't going to be at their best but if they aren't perished where there is cracking evident between the tread and on the sidewalls and shoulders they could just need wearing in again, especially if they are new to the vehicle but if they haven't been stored correctly the rubber could be hard and brittle as others have suggested and be causing the problem.

The oversized 205/50/16 size works well on the TT wheels btw as they give a little more sidewall depth and comfort and oh don't worry about the 83 load rating as that is the lowest you will get that tyre size in, that or 87 and there is nothing wrong with an 83 load rating on an A2. Some popular non A2 sizes that people use on an A2 (185/60/15 for example) are usually only available in an 84 or 88 load rating so 84 would be the one to go for.

Always check the wet rating of a tyre before you buy them, A is best and buy no worse than B as to me that is the most important factor of a tyre and check the noise rating too, obviously the lower the better.

Hope this helps a little? πŸ‘
Thank you for the information very helpful πŸ‘πŸ»

Reactions: A2Z
HI
Do you know what lower front arms you have? The pressed steel versions have been well documented with hidden internal rust issues, that when they fail/snap/fracture could be dangerous if your driving. Deffo get them checked out.
Steve

HI
Do you know what lower front arms you have? The pressed steel versions have been well documented with hidden internal rust issues, that when they fail/snap/fracture could be dangerous if your driving. Deffo get them checked out.
Steve
It has had a full front and rear suspension rebuild with new parts

IMG_3607.jpeg

That front and rear suspension overhaul is the reason why it feels like it's all over the place. Very first thing I would do is check all wheels alignment on Hunter especialy after rear axle was completely removed. I think the tracking is not good.

Back