Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wont start after engine rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Thats the speedo sensor on the gearbox , sometimes its just the sensor to fill the hole in the gearbox as uses the ABS wheel sensors for spedo reading instaed
    Great cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by Topsie View Post
    You can just see the helical cut tooth and Iíve highlighted the timing mark also

Attachment 31674
    Thanks Topsie I did align this correctly with the cams too

3. Users that liked this post:

Topsie (05-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Shmeeefly View Post
    Right the engineer in me has told me to investigate further into where i got my initial information from and I think I have found how i went wrong !! I watched this video -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo6wpKdBoUE --- and he tells you to make sure the hole in the ring goes at the top, which is what i did, but now after watching the video back I noticed the gaps seemed to be different in the ring ??? :-( and now I have found this video ---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P32pveQ4ok ---- in a different language but he seems to be telling whoever to align the hole at the right hand notch at the bottom....

I've included images of the difference below
    Attachment 31672 the one I did but ring seems to be different

Attachment 31673 the one I think I should have done as it has the same ring in it with the gap in line with the hole.

Can anyone confirm this please
    Can someone confirm this is probably the case before I start stripping it tomorrow ... Please

Does this help?

Also, apologies, I was getting confused between the engine timing and the crankshaft excitation ring (or whatever it’s called!) timing!!

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a2/...(gearbox_end)/
    Last edited by Topsie; 05-10-2017 at 09:30 PM.
    2003 Audi A2 1.6 FSI Sport | Climate Control | Front Fogs | Headlight Cleaners | Heated Mirrors & Windscreen Washer Jets | Heated Seats | Symphony II | Vanity Mirrors | PDC | Rear Electric Windows | Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror | DIS | Working OSS | Rear Cup Holder

Does this help?

Also, apologies, I was getting confused between the engine timing and the crankshaft excitation ring (or whatever itís called!) timing!!

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a2/...(gearbox_end)/
    Yes that is the perfect instructions for what i needed :-) Thankyou Topsie

Glad I could help!
    2003 Audi A2 1.6 FSI Sport | Climate Control | Front Fogs | Headlight Cleaners | Heated Mirrors & Windscreen Washer Jets | Heated Seats | Symphony II | Vanity Mirrors | PDC | Rear Electric Windows | Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror | DIS | Working OSS | Rear Cup Holder

Glad I could help!
    well hopefully when I now strip everything today it will work

Nope still No start although it does turn over allot better and has started to start but cuts out straight away after much cranking, I removed the gearbox and aligned the ring properly now as you can see from the pictures below, I have spares for everything so if anyone has any other suggestions, such as swapping something ? I would be so grateful as I have spent over a week on this now and need it running asap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0128.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	540.6 KB 
ID:	31780

Sorry for asking this again, but are you sure that it is not related to the immobiliser?
    If it is related to that it would start and then immediately cut out again. You would get the car/ key warning light to show that the immobiliser has been triggered, so I am guessing that this is not the cause or you would have spotted that warning. But there is no harm in asking, just to make sure.

Steve B
    White (non-Factory) TDI 90 - BOSE, MFSW, DIS, cruise, Headlamp washers, rear cupholders, Votex style rear spoiler, Heated (twist) leather, double DIN, DIS, rear Power Socket, false floor, Auto headlights, LED interior bulbs, 18" x 8" - 9 Spoke "Sport" alloys on new 215 35 18 Yokohamas, Auto dimming mirror, heated door mirrors, 4 electric windows, Front fogs.

VCDS and Key programming service, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

Quote Originally Posted by Birchall View Post
    Sorry for asking this again, but are you sure that it is not related to the immobiliser?
    If it is related to that it would start and then immediately cut out again. You would get the car/ key warning light to show that the immobiliser has been triggered, so I am guessing that this is not the cause or you would have spotted that warning. But there is no harm in asking, just to make sure.

Steve B
    To be honest I have never driven the car so I would not know what to look for or how the immobilser light behaves ? oh and your A2 looks amazing :-)
    Last edited by Shmeeefly; 12-10-2017 at 06:19 PM.