An OpenSky is reborn!

Sorted out !! Tank you Falcon

You were right Mr Falcon
Thank you so much. You just saved me much talk, time, negociation and worries with audi Rinner and/or audi France
I did it in 5 minutes as I don' have sun blinds!!
The 4 hook screws (the passenger side and the drivers side) were completely loose.
They obviously haven't tighten them.

Now it's all ok. No noise, no Gap! :)
Thanks again

I think I can see the problem on your video. The locking hook has gone loose (it rotates backwards) so that your front glass panel can not shift under it correctly. You should be able to see that when you stand on the passengers side and watch the locking hook inside the car while closing the roof.

I made a print screen from your video where you can see the difference between the position of the locking hook. It changed position in the second video where you show your problem.

You should be able to tighten the locking hook with a torx screwdriver, but before you can reach this screw you need to unclip the sun-blinds. Here you can find how to do that.

On this page, user "a. mundt" describes how he did it from post #223 and further.

I would definately take a look whether you can tighten this hook in the right position yourself!

Last edited:
You were right Mr Falcon
Thank you so much. You just saved me much talk, time, negociation and worries with audi Rinner and/or audi France
I did it in 5 minutes as I don' have sun blinds!!
The 4 hook screws (the passenger side and the drivers side) were completely loose. They obviously haven't tighten them.
Now it's all ok. No noise, no Gap! :)
Thanks again
Great news! It was just that you shot the video from the right angle. Otherwise I would not have seen the locking hook in detail! Strange that they did not tighten those screws in the right way @ Rinner. I will check mine to make sure they are still fixed... Have a great day!
p.s. Is your metal clicking noise still gone now?

Alles gut

As we say in German : Alles Gut !!!
everything's ok !
The metallic click noise has gone and the opensky opens and closes as new ! :D I cross fingers it keeps ok
Long life for the Open sky!!

Don't hesitate to check your's

Great news! It was just that you shot the video from the right angle. Otherwise I would not have seen the locking hook in detail! Strange that they did not tighten those screws in the right way @ Rinner. I will check mine to make sure they are still fixed... Have a great day!
p.s. Is your metal clicking noise still gone now?

Last edited:
promising

Well I took my car in to Worthing Audi today...so far very efficient, friendly and helpful service...and it is looking promising re the OSS...everything is crossed and I will post news when I get a call from them. Had a look round the town...lovely old English seaside resort..and they gave me a brand new petrol A3 as a courtesy car...very nice, but only showing 35mpg so far on the run back on the A27...plus the climate-control doesn't work as well as my own...so I will be happy to get my A2 back soon as !

Well I took my car in to Worthing Audi today...so far very efficient, friendly and helpful service...and it is looking promising re the OSS...everything is crossed and I will post news when I get a call from them. Had a look round the town...lovely old English seaside resort..and they gave me a brand new petrol A3 as a courtesy car...very nice, but only showing 35mpg so far on the run back on the A27...plus the climate-control doesn't work as well as my own...so I will be happy to get my A2 back soon as !

Sounds very promising. What a break through this could be! I have my fingers crossed for you and look forward to hearing the outcome!

Rob.

Yesss !!!!

Sorry for shouting but....YESSS !!!!,
The old roof is out and a new one is on it's way in ! Thanks very much so far Audi Worthing...I am getting a service done, and some MOT work so it should be ready in a day or 2....a great break through and my next car will definitely be an Audi. Not for a while yet though 'cause I'm gonna enjoy my lovely A2 with a brand new OSS !! More to follow with a full breakdown of costs...
:):D:)

Shout louder!
Great news!

Sorry for shouting but....YESSS !!!!,
The old roof is out and a new one is on it's way in ! Thanks very much so far Audi Worthing...I am getting a service done, and some MOT work so it should be ready in a day or 2....a great break through and my next car will definitely be an Audi. Not for a while yet though 'cause I'm gonna enjoy my lovely A2 with a brand new OSS !! More to follow with a full breakdown of costs...
:):D:)

WOW! This is such good news.
Does this mean it will now set a precedent for others to come forward regarding their OSS?

Will be interested to hear how they decided to replace your OSS given the problems people have had with Audi not wanting to know up til now.

Very pleased for you Haudi Partner:D You have every reason to shout about it!!

Nigel:)

slight oss problem

Audi have emailed me to say that having fitted the new roof and tested it they have a minor problem in that " while putting the headlining and sun screens back in where the screen slides along the plastic frame, the frame work has become brittle and has cracked". Which part do you think this is exactly? All was fine before removal.
I had hoped they would have ordered in advance all possible parts in case of issues like this. They have ordered the new part which is not in the UK so will take a further 3-5 days (hopefully!)..which means they will have had the car at least a week/10 days causing me a few problems such as parking permits amongst other things.

Well folks, this is great news and a huge relief to all those who were dreading the drive to Bavaria, not to mention the associated costs. It seems the OSS can be fixed in the UK and hopefully we'll soon have someone on these shores with the experience of Herr Thomas.

Upon my return from Germany, I immediately contacted Audi UK. Over the course of a few telephone conversations, I essentially said the following:
Either you reimburse me for my travel costs etc to Germany or you agree that the work can be done in the UK.

Audi UK contacted Audi HQ in Germany to verify that Rinner were doing a lot of work on behalf of the members of the A2OC and to verify the terms of the warranty repair. At one point fairly early on in proceedings, before HQ were contacted, a lady at Audi UK called me to say - and I quote - "You've opened a right can of worms, here"!

I have been keeping an eye on other members' speculative posts about getting the work done in the UK and am delighted that it seems to be going to plan. I honestly have no idea whether my contact with Audi UK upon my return has hastened things or had an instrumental effect, but that's beside the point, really. UK garages are honouring the 10 year warranty.

This all raises a question, though. Audi UK asked me whether I or anyone else had ever contacted them before going to Germany. I explained that many members with BrokenSky Systems had contacted their local dealerships about a repair and that all had been told that they at that garage weren't able to do the work. This further perplexed Audi UK.
Did anyone ever contact Audi UK about this? I, like many others, was so pleased at the prospect of getting the OSS repaired by Rinner that I didn't think twice about going. But would a call to Audi UK have saved us all those miles?

I suppose I'm asking about the history of our knowledge and understanding. How did we as a club come to the conclusion that we had to go to Rinner?

Cheers,

Tom

Well I was told over a year ago that they could do the work...but for a couple of thousand pounds..also that replacement cost less than repair. I was also quoted £200 just for them to look at it and not repair it. Since then I have emailed various Audi management people and finally thanks to the pressure and blogs from members here and the fact that Rinner was given the OSS costs back from Audi I managed to get it done in the UK. It makes you wonder how long Rinners have been getting the money from Audi...I would certainly have appreciated a call from my local dealer to inform me that this work was avaliable but it seems most still are not aware of it.
I will be happy in the end though if all goes to plan. :)

Overall I think this is good of Audi to do this, even if it took a while, and the fact that the A2 is such a well-loved and popular car has helped. It makes them look better in respect of selling A1's and also will help them market the new A2 if/when it comes out.

OpenSky repair in the UK has been a can of worms for as long as I've been on the forum, and no doubt for longer than that previously.
My understanding of it from a UK perspective was that there was no possiblity of a warranty repair from Audi UK (despite much investigation by the forum), and that to get the OpenSky repaired/ replaced in the UK was expensive (£2000+) but also limited by the availabilty of the "Audi Jig" of which there were very few in the country, and very few garages with the know-how to use it.

That's where it seemed to end, until it became known that German A2 owners were getting OSS repairs under warranty, albeit seemingly only through Rinners. That then started the long road that we are now familiar with, with increasingly large numbers of forum members heading East to get it done, and then apparently getting it done under German Audi warranty.

I must say I am extremely relieved to know that the OSS will now be covered by warranty repair in the UK up to 10years old (although I would have driven to Germany if required). Mine does judder, although it always has done, but if/ when it does go ping, I hope it does it before the 10 years is up!

This is interesting. When I phoned Audi, I wasn't really that concerned about getting my expenses back. As you'll know from the thread I made upon my return, I did the whole trip as cheaply as possible because I fully expected Audi UK wouldn't cough up!
Audi UK certainly seem to have played ignorant, though. If indeed they have been contacted in the past about this - and enough times for them to consider themselves under pressure - they certainly didn't let on when I phoned them.

As I say, though, the most important thing is that they have capitulated!

Dan - As I mentioned in my OpenSky thread, the new system is better than the old one in that all the weak points known to Audi are now made from metal. If I were you, I'd be wishing my OSS to fail so that I could get the newer, more reliable system.

Tom

Last edited:
:eek::D:cool:

I'll have to get down there with my newly faulty new roof, the driest April on record and I've not had the use of it :(

I'll pretend my trip to Rinner helped sway things even if it didn't because it helps justify it :eek::D

:eek::D:cool:

I'll have to get down there with my newly faulty new roof, the driest April on record and I've not had the use of it :(

I'll pretend my trip to Rinner helped sway things even if it didn't because it helps justify it :eek::D

Has your roof died!? What's up with it? How long ago is it that you went to Rinner?

As of PM today. Audi Derby are denying that they know anything about the repairs. I have contacted Audi UK on several occasions previously and again they deny any knowledge of the repairs. I have 2 weeks left before my trip to Rinners. Come on Audi UK get some of this warranty work for your UK employees at least!!

Mine was done in December, while closing it beginning of last month there was a CRACK as the second pane went into place and the first pane juddered closed. What I need to look into is if the motor/cogs could have such an effect.

Mine was done in December, while closing it beginning of last month there was a CRACK as the second pane went into place and the first pane juddered closed. What I need to look into is if the motor/cogs could have such an effect.

Sorry to hear this. I don't suppose whether you know if you've got one of the newer, redesigned roofs, do you? I don't know when Audi made the changes. This is not good, though. You must be somewhat irritated, to say the least.

Back