Bought a 'new' Audi today...

PeterS

Brings the total to 3, though it wasn't a deliberate attempt to maintain an all-Audi fleet ☺️

The A2 is high mileage and a little worn, but everything still works (including the climate control), and it's moderately well equipped. Reasonably comprehensive service history (though a service is now due...) and 12 months MOT. Last service (12 months ago) cost around £700 though, which isn't much less than I paid for the whole car!

The flat red paint is suffering from a lot of laquer peel though, and it has more than its fair share of scuffs. The interior is fine, bar the typical peeling of the soft touch plastics that all Audis of this era seem to suffer from. I had an '03 A4 as a company car, and the climate control, DIS, stereo all seem to be exactly the same! Only the A2 has steering wheel controls, where the A4 had a 3 spoke sports wheel with no controls on it

First job will be a service, and a new thermostat. It's running very cool. But the cabriolet was the same when I bought it 3 years ago. It's had a reasonable amount spent on the suspension over the last few years, but I think fresh dampers (and springs?) would be a good idea as I can't see any record of them being changed.

After that refurbing the alloys and replacing the no-name but plenty of tread tyres with some proper tyres is on the agenda, and if possible swapping out the damage or worn interior switchgear. Only then will I see if it's worth spending money on the bodywork!! And I would like cruise control too...is this feasible?

Anything else I should particularly look out for? It's a 1.4 SE, 160k miles, cam belt changed 2 years ago.

Sorry for such a rambling first post ☺️

A true audi fan! Loving the fleet, especially the 80 convertible. Great shape and still modern looking. Sounds like the A2 was a good bye. Similar mileage to mine. I could list everything that has been changed on mine either for a fault or upgrade but it may well overwhelm you. Keep the cambelt changes regular and use the climate out of econ mode now and again are useful tips.

james

The convertible was a spur of the moment eBay purchase (as was the A2, if I'm honest ☺️) three years ago. I'd sold our 2007 A4 convertible about 6 months before, but soon realised that we missed having a convertible around. So I bought it, sight unseen, from eBay for £536 It's been mechanically reliable, though there are a few electrical niggles now (loom to the drivers door is faulty so sometimes the window switches work, and sometimes they don't), and the auxiliary oil temp, oil pressure and voltage gauges have a mind of their own!

It's done 130k miles now, and has only had 3 owners. It's a 2.6 Auto with a manual roof and a nice blue interior. Best of all of the 23 stamps in the service book 21 are at Audi dealers! In fact I had it serviced at Worthing Audi just to keep up the history. Under the fixed price scheme for older cars it came in at around £350 I think, including changing the auto gearbox fluid.

Here's a picture of it when it was clean!

Lovely cars . Nice tidy looking property too!

The A2 is Amulet red. Like all red A2s it's prone to clear cost peel. Good colour though and not that common on the wee car. Welcome to the club.

Yes,

red Audis suffer from peel.

This was my grandson's before the paint was repaired. (also Amulet red)

IMG_1256.JPG

Steve B

Thanks for the comments / advice everyone. Steve, when you say repaired, do you mean resprayed? Or is it possible to fix using some other method?

I quite like the amulet red, though I have to say when it's parked next to the misano red A3 it looks almost burgundy!!

Today's job is a bit of an interior valet - it's in OK condition, but grubby...

I'd recommend a wet shampoo followed by a steam clean if the interior is really grubby. You'll know that Audi interiors stand up pretty well to abuse and I've managed in the past to rejuvenate a pretty neglected A4 Interior to look very presentable.

Only issue I've found is that spot cleaning or hand methods on the upholstery result in water marks when dried out hence the recommendation for a shampoo/ steam treatment.

I'm aware that Steve had the front of his grandson car resprayed. I'm not aware of other methods to repair lacquer peel. No authority on the subject though so it may be possible. How badly affected is it?

Good luck with the car. They really get under your skin.

My local auto body repair shop has said that bonnet laquer peel is impossible to either patch up or repair. An entire bonnet respray is required and will cost in the region of £250. :)

Brings the total to 3, though it wasn't a deliberate attempt to maintain an all-Audi fleet ☺️

The A2 is high mileage and a little worn, but everything still works (including the climate control), and it's moderately well equipped. Reasonably comprehensive service history (though a service is now due...) and 12 months MOT. Last service (12 months ago) cost around £700 though, which isn't much less than I paid for the whole car!

The flat red paint is suffering from a lot of laquer peel though, and it has more than its fair share of scuffs. The interior is fine, bar the typical peeling of the soft touch plastics that all Audis of this era seem to suffer from. I had an '03 A4 as a company car, and the climate control, DIS, stereo all seem to be exactly the same! Only the A2 has steering wheel controls, where the A4 had a 3 spoke sports wheel with no controls on it

First job will be a service, and a new thermostat. It's running very cool. But the cabriolet was the same when I bought it 3 years ago. It's had a reasonable amount spent on the suspension over the last few years, but I think fresh dampers (and springs?) would be a good idea as I can't see any record of them being changed.

After that refurbing the alloys and replacing the no-name but plenty of tread tyres with some proper tyres is on the agenda, and if possible swapping out the damage or worn interior switchgear. Only then will I see if it's worth spending money on the bodywork!! And I would like cruise control too...is this feasible?

Anything else I should particularly look out for? It's a 1.4 SE, 160k miles, cam belt changed 2 years ago.

Sorry for such a rambling first post ☺️

What a great line up, very nice indeed, welcome along to a great club!
Cheers jeff

Welcome to the fold Peter; lovely line up and a stunning home you have too.

Steve had a respray done; see link below for inspiration... ;)

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?29072-Three-new-personal-records-for-me/page4

Thanks for the comments / advice everyone. Steve, when you say repaired, do you mean resprayed? Or is it possible to fix using some other method?

I quite like the amulet red, though I have to say when it's parked next to the misano red A3 it looks almost burgundy!!

Today's job is a bit of an interior valet - it's in OK condition, but grubby...

Thanks again everyone.... Just uploading a few 'after' pictures to photo bucket following a wet vac and interior clean and will show the extent of the laquer issue then ☺️

Ok, so the first comment is that in bright sunshine the colour really changes!!

The interior has come up ok I think - 160k miles is bound to have had an impact, but I'm pleased enough with it

The laquer peel (and general scuffs) affect most panels though... The bonnet is not too bad, but the roof and doors have suffered...

Plus the damage to the rear bumper looks fairly recent?

Still, for £850 I'm happy

Haha...I've just discovered something else!! The A3 is an e-tron plug in hybrid, which comes with all sorts of connected tech. One of the apps, MyAudi, lets you add multiple cars by entering the VIN. So I thought I'd try!

The A2 looks brilliant red now. :confused:

can you post the code from the service book or sticker in the lower boot cubby.

Aye you need a respray or live with the peel and the scuffs. Interior looks like it's come up well.

Last edited:
Haha...yes, I knew it was an e-tron I meant that I didn't expect the MyAudi app to recognise an A2 VIN in the first place, never mind pull up the standard and optional equipment list
It's definitely not brilliant red - too dark for that... But it was very bright and sunny this morning. Which bit of this is the colour code?

Last edited:
Haha...yes, I knew it was an e-tron �� I meant that I didn't expect the MyAudi app to recognise an A2 VIN in the first place, never mind pull up the standard and optional equipment list ��
It's definitely not brilliant red - too dark for that... But it was very bright and sunny this morning. Which bit of this is the colour code?

aye sorry I realised that and edited my post! You caught me.

The LY3C code is your paint. Hang on and I'll check it .

edit : definitely Amulet red

Last edited:
No worries... and thanks :)
The sun has gone in now so it's back to its dark shade again ☺️

Last edited:
aye sorry I realised that and edited my post! You caught me.

The LY3C code is your paint. Hang on and I'll check it .

edit : definitely Amulet red
Yes, I always have trouble with the colour codes so I checked it when I bought my grandson's A2. Yes LY3C is Amulet red. A darker less vibrant red than Misano. But it is a really nice shade of red.

Steve B

So, 4 weeks to the day after I bought this, under the 'control' of my partner the poor thing had an argument with a concrete pillar in a car park and lost...

These things happen (though it would be the day after it was serviced!!), and it is only a car at the end of the day... But there's no doubt in my mind that it's a write-off. At a minimum new bonnet, bumper, grille, crash bar, radiator required will see to that. Plus the climate control is also now U/S. The question is, is it worth claiming on the insurance? The car only cost £850, and then a £250 excess. On top of that I think some insurers will cancel the policy after a total loss claim, so that's another £250 down the drain...

Now, he likes the A2 and I've identified a potential replacement, so my inclination is not to claim and just transfer over the policy to th 'new' car. Then see if the DIS and MFSW from this can can be transferred over. Is there any value (or interest) in A2 parts, or should I just scrap the rest? After removing the space saver spare of course...and swapping any alloys that are in better condition on this one!

Alternatively, it does just look like a whole load of bolt on parts. Now I have no particular skill or experience, but I do have space and tools. Should I see if I can replace those parts myself and then sell the car?

I am not a great advocate of seeing any A2 "broken up" but i also now realise that financial implications have to be considered. Parts for the front of the car can be probably be bought very easily from club members (Sarge) or breakers but at what price ?.

I would add up the cost of these parts against the value of the car. Is there any point in repairing a vehicle if you were to lose money on a future sale ?. :(

Back