Excessive vibration

froggy

Out of nowhere I started to feel like I had excessive engine vibration and a slight change in engine note inside the cabin. Putting it down to old age, I have ignored it for a few days, but sitting stationary outside of work this morning I looked up at the visor mirror and my reflection was shaking quite violently. The car seems to run fine with no apparent issues at any speed or engine load.

Does anybody have any experience of heavy vibration without symptoms - would anyone mind checking their rear view or visor mirror while stationary, to see if they can see an 8.5 Richter scale earthquake effect like me? 🤣.

Currently my TDi RPM sits at around 2450 at 70mph, and (when I get chance to drive on my private runway) about 2850/2900 at 80mph.

Sorry, I know this is extremely vague, but if anybody can clock their RPM at 70mph it might at least point to engine mounts etc rather than mechanical issues with the engine itself.

Many thanks
Rob.

Out of nowhere I started to feel like I had excessive engine vibration and a slight change in engine note inside the cabin. Putting it down to old age, I have ignored it for a few days, but sitting stationary outside of work this morning I looked up at the visor mirror and my reflection was shaking quite violently. The car seems to run fine with no apparent issues at any speed or engine load.

Does anybody have any experience of heavy vibration without symptoms - would anyone mind checking their rear view or visor mirror while stationary, to see if they can see an 8.5 Richter scale earthquake effect like me? 🤣.

Currently my TDi RPM sits at around 2450 at 70mph, and (when I get chance to drive on my private runway) about 2850/2900 at 80mph.

Sorry, I know this is extremely vague, but if anybody can clock their RPM at 70mph it might at least point to engine mounts etc rather than mechanical issues with the engine itself.

Many thanks
Rob.
I get zero vibration of my RVM when stationary.

Can’t help you on the RPM as my 1.2 will be geared differently but that sounds about right if you’re on a standard gearbox for your engine

I get zero vibration of my RVM when stationary.

Can’t help you on the RPM as my 1.2 will be geared differently but that sounds about right if you’re on a standard gearbox for your engine
Thanks for that, I was sure that before I had little to no vibration in the cabin when stationary and that confirms it 👍🏻

Basic test procedure for engine mounts covered here -

The front drivers side mount is hydraulically damped so look for oil leaks around the base of the mount

Also worth inspecting is the 'dog bone' tie bar under the gearbox which controls fore / aft engine movement

Cheers Spike

Basic test procedure for engine mounts covered here -

The front drivers side mount is hydraulically damped so look for oil leaks around the base of the mount

Also worth inspecting is the 'dog bone' tie bar under the gearbox which controls fore / aft engine movement

Cheers Spike
. A short video of the engine running - it seems to have a lot more movement than I remember. I will check the dog bone mount next as the engine mounts seem good with no oil leaks 👍

Thank goodness for that, when I saw the thread title I thought I was going to have to undertake some moderation, this isn't that kind of club... ;)

I didn't know the 3-cylinder diesels are thát unrefined! ;)
Is it possible that it is a misfire?
That should very quickly trigger a check engine light though, speaking from experience.

I'm having vibration issues with my TDI 90.
So far I've changed dog bone mount, injector loom and tie rod ends with no change.
It's most noticeable under acceleration.
I think a garage is my next move

I didn't know the 3-cylinder diesels are thát unrefined! ;)
Is it possible that it is a misfire?
That should very quickly trigger a check engine light though, speaking from experience.
Not a misfire, the 1.4tdi is a bit noisy but not as bad as the video usually. Misfire would cause warning notifications and loss of power symptoms etc

For info, Murdo gave an excellent summary of DMF failure symptoms in the end paragraph of this old post

Cheers Spike

I had similar on my 90, changed timing belt as was due soon, change dog bone mount, and then it was smoother but could hear rattles with clutch so did the dmf and it’s now smooth as yogurt. Maybe try all those starting with cheapest. Obviously some of these items will be fine depending on usage and mileage. The engine sounded okay in video. Does the alternator belt tensioner jump around too? The 3 pot will shake its mounts so doesn’t take much play in them to cause that wobble far from anchorage points. Good luck!

I'll give my suspension bushes a look over again then potentially tackle drive shafts.
There's no metallic sound and no pedal judder from the clutch with mine.
I wonder if I'd be bored buying something newer...

No, I've two sets and the issue is the same regardless.
With mine the issue seems to be worse once it's up to temperature before that it's less noticeable.
Mine has been mapped and I remember Tom telling me full power isn't available until it's fully up to temp. Not that I'd abuse a cold engine.

For info, Murdo gave an excellent summary of DMF failure symptoms in the end paragraph of this old post

Cheers Spike
This seems very possible, mine is a 75 but I guess it’s not relevant in this case. I have now identified a heavy vibration/grinding noise which I can feel with my feet every time I lift off the throttle in 1st gear. Possibly slightly in 2nd gear, but it is repeatable every time I do that in 1st. Looks like another trip to Simon for a clutch inspection. I will hopefully get the tower bearing/linkage adjustment done whilst there.

Ok, so after a quick inspection, engine mounts all good. The heavy vibration only occurs between 1100 and 1300rpm. Anything outside this the engine is fine. In between that rev range it almost sounds like a misfire but 99.99% not a misfire - does anybody have any experience of a vibration problem at those revs? There is a very slight metallic ‘clink’ noise every few seconds from right side of engine, which sounds like maybe a small spring has come loose.

Have to wait for a slot now to get the gearbox checked out and a scan too, in the meantime hoping somebody has had this problem before and can identify it by the limited info as its very unusual.

Ok, so after a quick inspection, engine mounts all good. The heavy vibration only occurs between 1100 and 1300rpm. Anything outside this the engine is fine. In between that rev range it almost sounds like a misfire but 99.99% not a misfire - does anybody have any experience of a vibration problem at those revs? There is a very slight metallic ‘clink’ noise every few seconds from right side of engine, which sounds like maybe a small spring has come loose.

Have to wait for a slot now to get the gearbox checked out and a scan too, in the meantime hoping somebody has had this problem before and can identify it by the limited info as its very unusual.
A scan as soon as possible is my advice, just in case. Check the scan register for anyone local.
Mac.

Back