Chat Faulty child lock on rear doors

AlphaDuo

2002 1.4 Petrol – I can't release the child lock on the rear doors, does any one know whether this is an issue that is connected to CCM issues or whether the locks have their own independent sensor/module that would need replacing? My petrol cap release is also not functioning (if this helps the diagnosis) but I'm assuming this is more likely the switch in the doorframe that needs replacing rather than a (connected?!) CCM issue as well?
Any help/advice gratefully received, thanks!

Child lock is mechanical, any problem with releasing is the lock module issue, 8z0839015 rear left, 8z0839016 rear right.
Petrol cap not functioning is most likely due to driver's door micro switch not detecting driver's door open. Check if there is door open sign on the cluster display for the driver's door first.

Child lock is mechanical, any problem with releasing is the lock module issue, 8z0839015 rear left, 8z0839016 rear right.
Petrol cap not functioning is most likely due to driver's door micro switch not detecting doors open. Check if there is door open sign on the cluster display for the driver's door first.
Brilliant, thank you! Was about to embark on a CCM reprogramming palaver, so very glad I posted first!!

Reactions: neo
Brilliant, thank you! Was about to embark on a CCM reprogramming palaver, so very glad I posted first!!
BTW both rear doors only open from the outside, and the fault happened shortly after I bought the car, 18 months ago, are they connected? ie would both doors have failed simultaneously?

As Neo says, it’s just a simple mechanical system inside the locks that disconnects the internal handle from the catch.
Despite having repaired hundreds of A2 locks, I have never seen a problem with the child lock function.
It certainly has no control module of its own, and the CCCU has no bearing upon its function.

Cheers,

Tom

So have you turned off the child lock function on both rear door locks? Only other but extremely unlikely issue could be someone has physically disconnected BOTH interior handle cables from the locks.

So have you turned off the child lock function on both rear door locks? Only other but extremely unlikely issue could be someone has physically disconnected BOTH interior handle cables from the locks.
That's certainly worth checking, only needs the doorcards to come off.

As Neo says, it’s just a simple mechanical system inside the locks that disconnects the internal handle from the catch.
Despite having repaired hundreds of A2 locks, I have never seen a problem with the child lock function.
It certainly has no control module of its own, and the CCCU has no bearing upon its function.

Cheers,

Tom
The mechanical latch that disables the internal opening is accessed by this opening.
Mac.
PXL_20230119_122834562~2.jpg

OK, so when I press the central locking button on the inside of the drivers' door, the doors lock and I hear the click. When I press the release to open, the front doors open, b
ok
hi - spot on, no door open signal on the cluster display, thank you again. What are logical next steps please?

So are you now saying the child lock issue is cleared and it is now just door open warning issues? We are trying to help you but your last post does not make a lot of sense.

Apologies, yes childlock cleared - it was the manual fix in the side of the doors, which is so strange, as I never put them on, and then they were both on one day, which is what made think it was an automatic function and not mechanical and possibly linked to cccu & petrol cap…

OK, so when I press the central locking button on the inside of the drivers' door, the doors lock and I hear the click. When I press the release to open, the front doors open, b

ok

hi - spot on, no door open signal on the cluster display, thank you again. What are logical next steps please?
Is the absence of the "door open" message for both front doors, or just the drivers?
Mac.

So everything else locks wise works as expected? All other doors register as open / closed and the interior lights come on with those doors?

The drivers door only being an issue then there is a fault that is preventing the CCCU from knowing the drivers door is opened. This will show as no door indication on DIS, no interior light and the 2 switches on the B pillar not illuminating or functioning.

You do know how to open the fuel flap in emergency by pulling down gently on the vertical rod you access behind the boot air extractor vents.

Back to the drivers door. There could be a break in the wiring either physically or due to corrosion, the door loom flexing could have fractured the connections of the socket on the lock circuit board, or the door open microswitch could have failed due to wear in one or more of the interacting parts.

While a scan is always useful in narrowing down faults in this case it would not be any more help. So the quickest solution for you would be to have the drivers door lock assembly replaced correctly. Yes there is a chance the lock can be repaired but for speed a replacement would be the better option. Tom @timmus could repair or replace the lock for you and lives in Lancaster just over a couple of hundred miles away.

Be very aware that there is a chance you could lock your key in the car now. When you unlock the car and open the drivers door the car is unaware the door is open, so if you drop your keys inside the car and close the door the car will automatically relock. Make sure that you have more than one fully working key and be paranoid where the key is if only opening the drivers door until the lock is replaced in the drivers door.

Just the drivers
Have a look at this how to. It may display with the start at the end, it did for me.
The most likely fault is that the micro switch, in the lock is not working, so, as @audifan says the car doesn't know the doors unlocked.
Depending on how you feel about DIY, you can buy a replacement micro switch, or a complete lock assy.
Again, as @audifan says, get a second key. Local locksmith should be able to cut a blade, so you can unlock manually. Lots of threads on here about new keys, but, one thing at a time.
Good luck.
Mac.

Have a look at this how to. It may display with the start at the end, it did for me.
The most likely fault is that the micro switch, in the lock is not working, so, as @audifan says the car doesn't know the doors unlocked.
Depending on how you feel about DIY, you can buy a replacement micro switch, or a complete lock assy.
Again, as @audifan says, get a second key. Local locksmith should be able to cut a blade, so you can unlock manually. Lots of threads on here about new keys, but, one thing at a time.
Good luck.
Mac.
Have a read here, for source of new lock.
Mac.

Apologies for delayed response. Thanks @PlasticMac @audifan for your clearly expert advice, I appreciate the value of it. I do have a second key, thankfully. Lancaster is quite a trek for me currently with work/kids etc @timmus can you give me a ball-park cost for replacing the door-lock assembly though when you have a minute and I can weigh up options etc? thanks

Back