Fuel record:)

Am still on my first tank of fuel so can't comment yet, out of interest my car just beeped and the HUGE(!) fuel warning light came on, roughly how many town miles have I got left (1.6 FSI engine)? Want to test how many miles I can get out of it but obviously don't want to conk out!

TBH I always fill up when it beeps because it scares me (pansy:() but I think I've read on here its about 30 miles or so if driven consertivaley..

Lisa r, I am in awe of the color of your car! looked for one in this colour for ages and ended up with silver. In my tdi i get about 35 miles after the beep before i really need to fill up.

Chris

280+ miles from the 1.4 Petrol (and smaller fuel tank) is very impressive. i think I've only ever done that once! Well done :)

I have the larger fuel tank, but I just managed 400 miles from my last tank which I was pretty impressed with. I usually get about 350 miles which is purely round town and works out at about 38mpg.

I normally end up filling up again after 280ish miles.

Currently i'm averaging about 42mpg, but have got as high as 52... which I think is amazing.

Technically I think I could do 300 before running dry, but am not too eager to try it out without some spare fuel as I normally have my wife and child with me on journeys, they might not understand the worth of the experiment. :)

Last edited:
the 42l tank is on later models, yes.
The light comes on at 7l in the tank, so there should be another 60 miles available. I've run mine to the left-side of empty :D

Will have to try and find a bigger tank at some point, here it's extremely important sometimes.

Bret

Lisa r, I am in awe of the color of your car! looked for one in this colour for ages and ended up with silver. In my tdi i get about 35 miles after the beep before i really need to fill up.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris, we believe it to be quite an unusual colour as have only seen silver or light blue ones round our way!

Thats ok, you are very lucky!! how are you getting on with the car, any niggles or complaints to speak off or any problems you have found?

Chris

I seem to have been getting a pretty consistent 320ish miles in my 1.4 petrol! that is letting the fuel needle go to near bottom, a while after the beep though. I doubt it's got the larger tank either because it's a 2001 model.

Thats ok, you are very lucky!! how are you getting on with the car, any niggles or complaints to speak off or any problems you have found?

Chris

No nothing so far <touch wood>, the beep when the petrol tank was low made me jump and the fuel symbol is HUGE which made me laugh, and my brakes squeaked on the way home from work today which was a bit odd but I am putting that down to the weather! The black stuff is flaking off my handbrake which I noticed last week which is a tad annoying! If thats all I can come up with after 2 weeks and over 300 miles it can't be too bad!

Hey Lisa R,

..I can't believe you get over 300 miles from your 1.6 before having to fill up.

I must be doing something your not?!? :rolleyes:

Mik

Well i've got a 1.4 TDI (remapped) with the larger tank and the other week i got 590 miles and only did 13 miles after the fuel light came on, so would have been well into 600 miles. But i would not recomend doing alot of miles with the fuel light on as its not recomended to run out in the diesel

Phil

Yer i struggle to get 320 miles out of my 2005 1.4 tdi, i am not sure if the special edition models have a "big tank" because i should be getting more than 320 miles even if i do travel at about 90 on the motorway for most of it or should i be getting around 320 miles someone help me figure this out!!!!

Chris

Hey Lisa R,

..I can't believe you get over 300 miles from your 1.6 before having to fill up.

I must be doing something your not?!? :rolleyes:

Mik

Hey Mik

We filled it up the day we got it from almost empty (but warning light not yet on) and it cost about £35 so I assume I have the smaller tank. The 300 miles was half town driving on short journeys to and from work and half a long motorway run. Given we have probably been over revving whilst getting used to the biting point etc it doesn't seem too bad. How many do you get then? PS we haven't had the climate control on much - don't know if that makes much difference?

You should have the large tank as mines a 52 plate and i've got the large tank normally get about 37+ litres in so never run it out, on that run i didn't run air con as that puts a big drain and it was doing about 50 MPH and up to 70, but the the week after i drove 525 miles doing 60 just about all motorway, so if you take it steady you will get the miles up

Phil

hi all i do the same trip most days for work of 62 miles round trip.i have found with my fsi 16 i am getting 49mpg average (thats over the last 14 months) last week it averaged 51mpg.the most i have had out of one tank is 455 miles but i think i refilled it with 41 litres so not much left!!!
if anybody is interested and has a iphone or i touch you can get a very good fuel consumption app. that works it all out and allows you see it graphically. you can also run multi vehicles on it. it is called ACCUFUEL i think it is free -nice. have fun sumo

Back