Happy A2 owner.

bm_sthlm

A2OC Donor
Hi fellow a2 owners.

I just bought my first car...ever. And Im glad it was the a2. Its a 1.4 TDI (75hp) 2002 imported from Germany. It have rolled 200k km, but works and looks great.

I went to the local Audi service and they recomended changing the intercooler, which I have done. Beside that I also had to change the break tubes (?). The problems I have encountered is that I cant lock the back seat properly to the floor and both of the reversing lights went out at the same times, that made me suspect that its the sensor failing (already cheacked the fuse).

This beeing my first car I was wondering over so much, but looking around in the forums I have found so much usefull info, :D

Happy A2 owner from Sweden.

Hi and welcome to A2 ownership and the A2oc.

Have you tried kneeling on top of the seat when its folded and you are putting it in. When you are on top pull the release handle and let go. This sometimes lets the seat click into place.

failing that this thread covers everything about seat problems.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?16655-The-Ultimate-My-Rear-Seats-Don-t-Work-Thread

I would guess that your break light switch has failed. A relatively cheap part from your dealer. Its under panel under the steering wheel on our cars. Not sure on yours.

Riverlad's comment "I would guess that your break light switch has failed. A relatively cheap part from your dealer. Its under panel under the steering wheel on our cars. "

Hi Riverlad,not wishing to contradict a fellow member, but it is his reversing lights that have gone. Not his brake lights.

:)

Steve B

there's a switch for the reversing lights, it's on top of the gearbox if I remember correctly.

yes, it is. Open the bonnet. On the gearbox, you'll see the cables for the gearchange. 15cm towards the front of the car and 5cm to the right (as you're looking at it!) and you should see a part with a 2-pole connector. That's the one. You'll apparently need a 21mm spanner.

- Bret

That's not a problem Steve.

That's what happens when you read and reply. When you are on the go and in a rush.

Cheers

David

That's not a problem Steve.

That's what happens when you read and reply. When you are on the go and in a rush.

Cheers

David
Yes

When you are keen to help but don't have time that happens to me often too.
I always feel it is better to respond too quickly than not at all !!

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
Thnx for the tips guys, I will look into it. Fortunately it seems manageable, even for a guy like me. ;)

I think I'll try to set up a "schraubertreffen" in Helsinki anyway before too long, so you can hop on the boat and join us :)

- Bret

Welcome :)

Any pics of your A2 ?

Absolutely, here is my beauty:

DSC_02952.jpg

I think I'll try to set up a "schraubertreffen" in Helsinki anyway before too long, so you can hop on the boat and join us :)

- Bret

Wow, thats a great idea. I would definitely be interested. I have a friend from Tampere over here so I could probably convince him to join me for this trip. The question is just when. Im out of Sweden right now and Im not sure exactly when I would get back.

Today I noticed that one of the breaking lights are out and both (?) dim lights in the rear. So that makes it 5 (?) with the reversing lights that are not working properly. And all in the rear. So thats kinda of weird or a really big coincidence. I went to Audi today but they said they couldn't take a look at it until tomorrow because they were so busy.

But it made me suspect it must be something faulty with something else then the bad bulbs. Any ideas?

Today I noticed that one of the breaking lights are out and both (?) dim lights in the rear. So that makes it 5 (?) with the reversing lights that are not working properly. And all in the rear. So thats kinda of weird or a really big coincidence. I went to Audi today but they said they couldn't take a look at it until tomorrow because they were so busy.

But it made me suspect it must be something faulty with something else then the bad bulbs. Any ideas?

Check that the earth is not causing this. Easiest way is to run a wire from something metal on the car and touch the metal casing of one of the bulbs while they are wired up and switched on. (just remove the bulbholder (the one with all of the bulbs in it)from the lamp, and CAEREFULLY touch the bare end of the wire into the side of the bulb so that it contacts the metal body of the bulb, right by the bulb glass) If there is an earth problem the bulb will illuminate brighter, if it makes no difference then the earth is not the problem.

Steve B

Today I experienced something strange. I was driving down the high way, returning home and had driven for 10min maybe. When suddenly the warning tone goes of and I see a warning triangle with a "!" in the middle and a ABS sign also if I remember correctly. I pulled over some where safe and restarted the car and everything seemed fine. It was the first time some thing like this happens. What could it be? Should I be worried? Should I take it so someone can check it out?

Today I experienced something strange. I was driving down the high way, returning home and had driven for 10min maybe. When suddenly the warning tone goes of and I see a warning triangle with a "!" in the middle and a ABS sign also if I remember correctly. I pulled over some where safe and restarted the car and everything seemed fine. It was the first time some thing like this happens. What could it be? Should I be worried? Should I take it so someone can check it out?

Hi, Red warnings should never be ignored and should be checked out properly, by a dealer or someone with a VCDS cable.
The cause of the error will have been logged and so it may not need any costly investigations.

Just because it has reset after switching off does not mean that all is well.

It MIGHT be a one-off, in which case getting it checked will confirm that, but if it is NOT a one-off then any expense in getting it checked will be well worth it!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
Back