Hello. I'm new

johnmed

A2OC Donor
I've always wanted an A2, and I think I'll be getting one soon.

I know my cars, and currently have an old thirsty straight six BMW e46.

Just a few questions....

I do a minimum of 10k a year, and want a 1.4 TDi, with a/c. What else should I be looking for?

I'm 6'4", will I fit?

Are they 'boring' to drive, like people often say Audis are?

I do mainly small journeys for work, some longer and the odd 250 mile journey to London and back (so 450+ miles), maybe once or twice a year. Was cruise control available?

I've never had a diesel before, nor have I had a 3 cyl car. What should I expect on start up/test drive etc?

Can bluetooth be retro-fitted? On my BMW, a common mod, I fitted a parrot into the loom, and it used the original buttons on the wheel and integrated with the original stereo. Is there something similar possible on the A2?

ICE wise, can an AUX line be retrofitted?

Is there anything I really shouldn't miss, bar cambelt/SH etc. Like gearbox weakness/bushes/subframe/engine mounts that wear, but are inaccessible etc etc?

Thanks if you're still reading :), and nice little forum.

John.

Welcome to A2OC. Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a list of do's and dont's when searching for an A2.

There is also a sticky thread on the General Forum entitled 'Buying and Owning an A2' which is well worth a read to start the education.

The A2 is like a tardis inside. It feels like a much bigger car and will easily take your 6'4" frame. There are a few similarly tall folk on the forum who have owned an A2 for many years with no problems or major gripes on that front.

Good luck with the search.

I'm 6'4", will I fit?

Are they 'boring' to drive, like people often say Audis are?

I do mainly small journeys for work, some longer and the odd 250 mile journey to London and back (so 450+ miles), maybe once or twice a year. Was cruise control available?

Can bluetooth be retro-fitted? On my BMW, a common mod, I fitted a parrot into the loom, and it used the original buttons on the wheel and integrated with the original stereo.

ICE wise, can an AUX line be retrofitted?

Welcome, I'll answer what I can.

You should fit fine, I'm about 6'2". Murdo is right about how large it feels - when I pass another A2 on the road I can't believe how small they look!

It isn't a drivers car in the same sense as your 3 series. It's a nice drive for a small car - half decent steering, nice gear change and you'll have to be driving hard to find the limits of grip (this is on the Sport with 17s). The lack of weight really pays dividends - it doesn't have the 'nose heavy' understeer to the extent many Audis do.

Cruise was available but rarer to find OEM, but you can retrofit it fairly easily, or several people on here can do it for you with genuine parts.

You should be fine with a Parrot kit, there's a few different aux kits as well.

Cheers

Last edited:
Welcome, I'll answer what I can.

You should fit fine, I'm about 6'2"

It isn't a drivers car in the same sense as your 3 series. It's a nice drive for a small car - half decent steering, nice gear change and you'll have to be driving hard to find the limits of grip (this is on the Sport with 17s). The lack of weight really pays dividends - it doesn't have the 'nose heavy' understeer to the extent nearly all other Audis do.

Cruise was available but rarer to find OEM, but you can retrofit it fairly easily, or several people on here can do it for you with genuine parts.

You should be fine with a Parrot kit, there's a few different aux kits as well.

Cheers

Thanks fella

Above link is not a TDi 90. They weren't available till late 2003 so earliest examples are 53 plates and they also have the matrix interior. Looks a nice enough car with tiny mileage though, and dolphin grey is lovely on an A2.

That 75 does look nice. I'm probably going to need to trade my car in tho, so will be looking at traders.

Thanks for the input chaps.

Thought I'd stop hijacking the spotted thread now, and carry on here.

I've put a deposit down on this car now.

Pics:

A53EED39-CD5F-4015-A1A5-990F683C688D-180-000000059422C4A6.jpg

2ED3CEC1-3DCB-475F-9922-4376EB291785-180-000000058CAFF79D.jpg

A9AA7C58-486C-4BA4-B43F-D687A2B3BD5C-180-0000000586831127.jpg

D31BA2F8-72B7-4CF2-9CEE-1BB5DEA4FC91-180-000000057BC373EC.jpg

724DEF3F-14FE-44F9-BE53-3B3EDE17D09F-180-000000056EF8216B.jpg

E41DB25B-E9BE-447C-B068-C67B781228A2-180-000000054B45F11B.jpg

Being serviced by garage at mo.

I'll be selling my old tank privately ASAP.

Thanks to all those who've helped since I recently joined. Great community.

Congratulations & (hopefully) welcome to many years of happy A2 ownership :D

Looks nice, don't see too many with alcantara. What mods are you planning then :D

Nice...wish ours came with Alcantra :)

Agree they are the nicest seats by far

Thanks all.

No real plans yet. Missing a false floor and a rear load cover, so I'll get those. I've had handsfree bluetooth on both previous cars, the BMW and the CLio 172, so I'd like that in the Audi, but my intention is to save some money....

That was mine too
Then I met Dan and caught a nasty bug from him (anyone remember Finbarr Saunders?).

I think my total bill so far is more than the car cost......

J

Hi fella. Yes, it has DIS. One lady owner from new, must have cost her a few bob ticking the options.

I'd prefer the 16" wheels TBH, tends to make for much cheaper tyres. What size are the tyres on the A2 BTW?

... What size are the tyres on the A2 BTW?

17" wheels (sport) - ... I can't recall off the top of my head
16" wheels (SE) - 185/50R16 81V
15" wheels (base) - 175/60R15

I started with the 16"s, and then went to 15s because they were more comfortable.

I use a non-standard size, 175/65R15, which is slightly bigger than normal, but there are more tyres available in it, and it is cheaper because it is on more cars. Note that if you use a non-standard size, in theory you should tell your insurance company.

Back