Chat How long ULEZ

Bernie

So now all of London as ULEZ, how long before all our Citys follow?
The way i see it, probably mine (Manchester) as the M60 which is prime ring road to impose this within 2yrs.

Last edited:
I think its inevitable tbh. I’ve lived in the London ULEZ (part 1) for a few years now, and it’s the silent assassin (only really talked about a week before it happnes and everybody realises the personal impact) of many ‘modern classic’.

I doubt it will be reversed unless everyone kicks off, in which case it may become a political tool for the elections, and even then the biggest reverse woukd be just the centres being ulez, ie phase 1. We live in Britain, we should know we don't get everything we want and plus the gov will plough ahead regardless on their high speed train.... many good sides to it though, if I had to live in and work in a city and had young kids for example I'd probably love it.... but who wouldn't like riding a brompton to work

They have similar already in other cities. I dropped into Birmingham a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to be in a fiesta petrol s-line which was exempt.

The irony is, I’ve used a motorbike on my commute to work over the past two years of ULEZ part 1 in London, and traffic is still gridlocked. I support the sentiment as opposed to seeing it as a tax - which is a happy coincidence at the very least - but would genuinely love to see independent data on how its impacted air quality in London since its inception. Interresting (!) one year report here, if you need help sleeping…https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-02/Inner London ULEZ One Year Report - final.pdf

My point, well im struggling to see if its worth continuing, maintaining and improving my A2.
When the government will be making it obsolete.

My point, well im struggling to see if its worth continuing, maintaining and improving my A2.
When the government will be making it obsolete.
This has hit people hard, and the with the roll out of EV infrastructure or public transport not even close to being fit for city purpose, my guess is any new changes to cars that don‘t qualify are a while away.

It’s a very unpopular policy with the masses, so I would imagine nothing will happen until after the next general election.

ULEZ or not, the many non compliant classics are still going up in value.

I looked at a TFL / London website yesterday that said 14% from cars 14% from domestic heating, so that leaves 72% to reduce, from industry etc ? easy targets first comes to mind. Wait for the you need to replace your gas boiler for an air source heat type system that won't work as well ..... because it only works on super insulated buildings, will they start a charge for that ....

I looked at a TFL / London website yesterday that said 14% from cars 14% from domestic heating, so that leaves 72% to reduce, from industry etc ? easy targets first comes to mind. Wait for the you need to replace your gas boiler for an air source heat type system that won't work as well ..... because it only works on super insulated buildings, will they start a charge for that ....
Considering the cost of the electricity to run the heat pump, and heat your hot water, they already are!
Mac.

The list today is
Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Oxford, Bath, Bradford (not cars) and Portsmouth (not cars). People forget the London commercial vehicle LEZ has operated for a few years, my son got a 250 fine and a colleague 1000 (a German with a German registered land rover), in both cases the fines were large as they didn't realise they were due and missed the payment deadlines.
I picked up a £27.50 charge taking my A2 TDI to my mums...because I was in a hurry and I decided to just pay, in all these cases I can assure you we won't be taking our Diesels into London again. £8 for Birmingham...well I'll save that cost in fuel by taking my A2.
Coming for sure Edinburgh, Dundee, Newcastle, Sheffield (trucks only).
Manchester and Cambridge are talking about it.
I'm off to Brussels soon, there they have it but in Brussels you have to pre-register and get a sticker (again common in Europe) and you get fined for no sticker (or the wrong sticker) and you may not be allowed in on some days depending on the sticker your car gets. Brussels also has a rolling tightening with Euro 4 petrol (like our A2's) being subject to a penalty from 2030.
It's coming, I was in the London zone today and its noticeable how many vehicles are now electric and TBH the local air quality was better. I know that isn't true everywhere in the zone either, I may have been lucky. Compared to my school days beside an urban dual carriageway the air quality is so much better, but Cats and Euro 1 made a huge difference and they came in in 1992.

Tower Hamlets.
FB_IMG_1693429783697.jpg

That's not good, back in 2019 we thought Leeds was going to introduce a ULEZ. So we bought my wife, who works in Leeds, a new compliant diesel. Diesel because we live out in the sticks and it is a few miles to Leeds.
Modern diesels really are clean, you can't tell they are diesel.

The number of colleagues of mine with problems with emissions systems on Euro 6 diesels is significant. I was talking to my MOT place owner and she said that around 2006 is peak reliability for Diesels, pre DPF, pre ad blue. One colleague says Merc can't get the parts to fix the emissions system, so he has to go back every 50 days to have the "starts remaining" counter reset whilst they try and get the parts.

The list today is
Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Oxford, Bath, Bradford (not cars) and Portsmouth (not cars).

Bath does not (yet) include cars. From the website:

Cars and motorbikes are not charged in Bath’s CAZ, regardless of the emissions they produce. However, commercial vehicles such as taxis and private hire vehicles will have to pay.

The crazy thing is the main east-west A4/A36/A4 Lower Bristol Road is include in the CAZ. They expect all lorries to go via the M4 but that's miles north. Any lorry etc in say east Bath heading to say west Bath or Bristol is going to go via the residential suburbs, probably Combe Down. So up the very steep long Claverton Down Road hill and then through the already busy North Road and Bradford Road. These roads suffer subsidence as the stone mines below are collapsing! It is also changing the traffic patterns down here in Wiltshire. So it is just pushing the problem elsewhere.

The historic centre of Bath definitely needs protecting but the Lower Bristol Road is not historic.

Back