Problems with my first A2

Bluesplit

Afternoon everyone,

Picked my first A2 up yesterday, black with red leather heated seats, after a 4 hour drive home I loved the way it drove, pulled along nicely considering it’s a 1.4 TDi.

I have a few issues to sort out though if anyone can give me some advice.

1. Think this maybe a common one, didn’t happen to begin with but over half way home when I started to brake I could feel the steering wheel judder and a kind of pulsing from the brake pedal?

2. Think the car must have been stolen st some point, there is 1 key to open the locks & a different key for the ignition. Is it just a case of buying a set of matching locks & ignition from another A2 and fitting or do I need this all coding to the ECU?

Other small problems I will be working through are front grill has the plastic arm snapped off so won’t stayed closed, every button has the surface worn away, stereo is out of an A4 so doesn’t fit properly, alloys I have never seen a set of wheel so badly kerbed!!

Thanks for any advice & im already loving being part of the A2 scene, love the car and hope to get it up to scratch asap

Mart

Attachments

• 85FAA5EA-7A24-462C-B1B3-E95B0BB4B751.jpeg
    85FAA5EA-7A24-462C-B1B3-E95B0BB4B751.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 371
  • 9A13BDA5-F4C3-42E6-975A-34554E80E213.jpeg
    9A13BDA5-F4C3-42E6-975A-34554E80E213.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 462
Hi Mart,

Welcome. I can answer some of your questions later if nobody does before (just busy in the garden fleecing against the 'Beast from the East'). An image of your centre console will help with the stereo and climate and maybe one of your keys.

Andy

Hi Mart welcome to a2oc and ownership of a great car. The judder will more likely be warped discs so not hard to replace. Locks are not impossible to swap out but not easy. The stereo will be an easy thing to replace and im sure you will find one on here from a helpful member.
Good luck and enjoy bringing your a2 back to spec. cheers mike

If the ignition key is working properly I.e remote locking then there would be little need to use the door locks except for in an emergency. I'm no expert on the electrics but a new lock set would need coding.

Agree with the brakes, most likely to be warped discs, so a nice easy one to sort.

Thank you for the replies, I have the remote central locking key to open the locks, but a different key for the ignition & I really would like it all to be one key. The stereo is a nice easy fix, hopefully picking an A2 CD player up tomorrow, the climate control does work but I can’t read any of the buttons it’s that badly worn.

I will try the brake discs first thanks

A2steve and boxy A2 have parts for sale get in touch with them they may have what you need
Welcome to A2OC
Happy A2 motoring

Thank you for the replies, I have the remote central locking key to open the locks, but a different key for the ignition & I really would like it all to be one key. The stereo is a nice easy fix, hopefully picking an A2 CD player up tomorrow, the climate control does work but I can’t read any of the buttons it’s that badly worn.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the physical key or fob(remote section) do you have two different keys? If not then you may be able to swap the working fob to the working key(I think the transponder is in the key section).
Otherwise, welcome. You'll find a helpful bunch here. In case you hadn't read already, member Depronman (Paul) has a remap available for the TDI giving a very pleasant performance boost for insanely little money.

The physical metal bit of the key is different to the metal bit of the on the unlocking fob, I think there was a new ignition fitted when it was stolen. I have attached pictures so you can see the keys are different, can I just fit the ‘other’ ignition key into the central locking casing?

Hope I’m making sense, I have to use the key fob to open the locks, & the other none key fob key to start the ignition. What are my best options to get 1 key for all?

Makes perfect sense to me, I think in order to sort fully you will need a new (matching) barrel for the ignition and the door lock, these are usually just blades so you should be able to use the actual fob that you already have which opens the central locking and just change the "blade" bit for the replacements.

The discs, I won't repeat the above advise, but agree.

One thing I noticed is that your Red Leather interior, whilst they're lovely (got them in mine) it doesn't look to be the original as you should have red gearknob, handbrake lever and steering wheel (can't see in the photo what colour the wheel is). If you're interested I may be able to help with those bits as my dad's car has the requisite bits for that as he has "downgraded" to a cloth SE interior.

To be honest, it's sounding more and more like you need to make a visit to "Bromley Towers" over here in Leicestershire.

All you need is a matching door lock and ignition barrel and a key blade your existing transponder will do the rest.. I’ve got It all available.. then for a spare key I’d try @Birchall.. you’d all be matching and have 2 keys also..

Welcome to A2oc we’re a friendly bunch.

Hope I’m making sense, I have to use the key fob to open the locks, & the other none key fob key to start the ignition. What are my best options to get 1 key for all?
Making perfect sense, the photo helps. I haven't found out how easy it is to swap transponders though assuming it is possible the cheapest way would be to get a blade cut for the ignition key to fit the remote fob blade and swap the transponders(though if the remote key was original to the car the current transponder may well be registered already-you could test this if you are able to remove the chip from the ignition key and try starting the car with the original key next to the new ignition key). Long winded though HTH.

Hi Mart,

I have decided to reply to your questions in separate posts so any discussion is focused on that question.

First then the the braking issue. My first thoughts, as others have already suggested, warped brake disc(s), they warp when they get hot after use on a longish drive. Unless the discs look very new simply replace, at least it is good maintenance. Have no idea of your DIY expertise or you would rather let a garage do the work.

On the DIY route, schedule an afternoon for the work and much less if experienced - pretty straightforward job. Pagid are a good brand, (followed by MIntex and slightly cheaper), from say Eurocarparts for somewhere approaching £60 for front discs and pads using their 35% weekend offer code.

If you prefer a garage I would at least provide the discs and save (probably) a chunk of money and avoid paying VAT twice on parts.

Difficult to know the level to pitch this post.

Andy

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense to me, I think in order to sort fully you will need a new (matching) barrel for the ignition and the door lock, these are usually just blades so you should be able to use the actual fob that you already have which opens the central locking and just change the "blade" bit for the replacements.

The discs, I won't repeat the above advise, but agree.

One thing I noticed is that your Red Leather interior, whilst they're lovely (got them in mine) it doesn't look to be the original as you should have red gearknob, handbrake lever and steering wheel (can't see in the photo what colour the wheel is). If you're interested I may be able to help with those bits as my dad's car has the requisite bits for that as he has "downgraded" to a cloth SE interior.

To be honest, it's sounding more and more like you need to make a visit to "Bromley Towers" over here in Leicestershire.

I’m think a Bromley Towers visit is the way forward, I had temp car insurance to get the car home, my full insurance won’t start for around 2 weeks, I can’t afford both my van insurance & the A2 insurance, soon as the insurance has swapped over I will come and pay a visit, sure there are more things you will be able to point out while I’m there

Hi Mart,

I have decided to reply to your questions in separate posts so any discussion is focused on that question.

First then the the braking issue. My first thoughts, as others have already suggested, warped brake disc(s), they warp when they get hot after use on a longish drive. Unless the discs look very new simply replace, at least it is good maintenance. Have no idea of your DIY expertise or you would rather let a garage do the work.

On the DIY route, schedule an afternoon for the work and much less if experienced - pretty straightforward job. Pagid are a good brand, (followed by MIntex and slightly cheaper), from say Europarts for somewhere approaching £100 using their 35% weekend offer code.

If you prefer a garage I would at least provide the discs and save (probably) a chunk of money and avoid paying VAT twice on parts.

Difficult to know the level to pitch this post.

Andy

Andrew thanks for that, I am certainly no mechanic but I have changed the discs, pads & shoes on previous cars and vans I have owned so I think that will be a job on the list of things to do in the next few weeks

Next the query on your key issue. Lots of good suggestions already and I am saved a job but I will say something.

The suggestions assume you are knowledgeable and know what's 'going on' with the keys, but in case you are not.

The Audi key consists of three functional parts (beside the battery and case!)

1. The metal key, often called a blade, you insert into the ignition (and door in emergency).
2. The immobiliser chip. This talks to the engine control unit (ECU) and basically says 'I'm here, everything is legit you can allow the engine to start". Needs to matched with the ECU.
3. The remote locking chip that talks to the convenience comfort control unit (CCCU - did I get this right?) that controls the door locks. Needs to be matched with the CCCU.

I hope this clarifies why the suggestions work, but forgive me if it is not needed.

Can I ask a question? Is it possible in Mart's case there is no chip in the ignition key and the immobiliser is picked up by the ECU from the other fob key. Anybody?

Andy

Last edited:
I posted my last post before I read your last post so probably not needed but it might help someone.

On the climate unit I suggested a picture of the centre console to see how the heated seats switches are implemented as advice might depend on the arrangement, so would still be useful. Appreciate it's too dark now.

On the head unit not all units are compatible with all A2's. On a 2002 plate the original would most likely be a Concert II. Just wanted to say that if you are buying one tomorrow but there is a lot more I could say.

Andy

Can I ask a question? Is it possible in Mart's case there is no chip in the ignition key and the immobiliser is picked up by the ECU from the other fob key. Anybody?

Andy
Almost certainly not. The transponder is passive hence needs to be very close to the pickup coil around the ignition switch (couple of cm max).

Split the keys into the two halfs (just lever them apart in the little slot) put the half with the buttons on (the one that opens the door) onto the key half that unlocks the ignition. Job done.

Steve B

Back