Surprise dessert with my order afterwards #Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis

A2OC Donor
Netherlands
Well, finally confronted with the meaning of Brexit.
Got myself a pair of Lemforder solid wishbones on eBay , from KMS Parts in Birmingham.
Nice people there, good communications, reasonable price and fast shipping. So no complaints about that.
Today a letter from DHL, VAT and import duties :(. If I would be so kind to pay €102.

Okay then, the wishbones with this extra were still cheaper then the originals at Audi itself.
Gives me something to overthink before ordering from the UK in future ;).

But why would you order in the UK, when you are based on the mainland and have acces to all suppliers ? I.e. germany?

But the take away is that the brexit is not very benificial for both parties in regard to import and export of goods.

In the end as long as you receive the right parts for the right price, all is good??

Unfortunately, I am now faced with the same difficulties on a regular basis. A lot of the supplies that I use to be able to offer A2 services come from Central Europe. We are, after all, enthusiastic about a German car. Some of the suppliers I use(d) have simply shut down the UK-side of their operations due to the increased costs and bureaucracy.
This was inevitable, I’m afraid. People marched on parliament time and time again because they knew this would happen. All the disadvantages of Brexit were played down by the few who stood to benefit from it. Meanwhile, small businesses like mine, that are dependent upon trade with our closest neighbours, bear the brunt of the negative consequences.

Cheers,

Tom

For the average UK citizen, there are zero positives from Brexit, at least from my experience. Now the UK is considering a zero tariff trade deal with a climate denier government in Australia. What will this do for carbon emissions from shipping? In the future, long distance shipping will be rendered uneconomic by zero emission legislation, unless we are to have thousands of nuclear-powered mega-ships sailing the oceans. But by then British farming will have been decimated by Truss's deals. Zero carbon emissions legislation will mean trading with your nearest neighbour, not the other side of the planet. That means trading with EUROPE!

Now that the dis-enfranchised 4m or so UK citizens who had lived outside the UK for 15 years have got their vote back, time for a new EU referendum!

RAB

But why would you order in the UK, when you are based on the mainland and have acces to all suppliers ? I.e. germany?

But the take away is that the brexit is not very benificial for both parties in regard to import and export of goods.

In the end as long as you receive the right parts for the right price, all is good??

The Lemforder wishbones were not available, tried them all. KMS had a leftover lot.

For the average UK citizen, there are zero positives from Brexit, at least from my experience. Now the UK is considering a zero tariff trade deal with a climate denier government in Australia. What will this do for carbon emissions from shipping? In the future, long distance shipping will be rendered uneconomic by zero emission legislation, unless we are to have thousands of nuclear-powered mega-ships sailing the oceans. But by then British farming will have been decimated by Truss's deals. Zero carbon emissions legislation will mean trading with your nearest neighbour, not the other side of the planet. That means trading with EUROPE!

Now that the dis-enfranchised 4m or so UK citizens who had lived outside the UK for 15 years have got their vote back, time for a new EU referendum!

RAB
The cost, both financial and environmental, of shipping, or flying, fresh produce from Australia to UK, will mean home produced produce will be competitive (maybe lower cost even). Do you really think it'll be economic to fly thousands of litres of milk halfway round the world?
You won't see any positives, if you decide there are none, so don't look. This applies to life, as well as Brexit.
Many of those businesses who, currently don't deliver to UK, will do in the future. No business ignores a market for long, they just need to figure out how to do it.
The OP's problem is as much to do with Brussels and Barnier as Boris. The agreement is a two way thing. Two to tango, even if they tread on each other's toes for a while.
Mac.

Can confirm it's completely screwed my new Austin 7 Special business as 1/3rd of sales were going to be to EU. It's also knocked all European 911 work off as well, as now duty would have to be paid on all works done, plus I'd have to be VAT registered. I've just had a massive battle getting a 911 back into the EU with customer being stiffed for a bunch of charges that didn't apply when the car arrived into the UK for work. Now his situation has got round, my other EU bookings have cancelled.

The parts supply situation is very shaky. Brexiteers will play the Covid Card, but since every problem for the last 50 years has been blamed on the EU, you know what? I'm going to blame Brexit.

My brother's other half is French and has lived here, teaching our school children all that time. She's had to apply to live in her adopted country (having paid £10's of thousands of taxes in that time). I know of several 1/2 European couples where the EU half has failed to meet the criteria and are now leaving: as they are academics, they are being welcomed with open arms into Germany.

People were told over and over this would happen. 'Don't patronise us' they said 'we know what we're voting for'. Now all I hear is 'well, I didn't think it meant 'that', why didn't they tell us?'

Just amazes me that the architects of all this aren't just getting a free pass, but are still being cheered on.

I've never been so ashamed to be English. I can't believe how far down we've come in such a short time: from the Olympics to this. Utterly disgustingly low regard for human rights, the truth, tolerance and generosity of spirit. Liars and cheats are celebrated. Makes me sick to my core.

Perhaps I should try and get it off my chest :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The vaccine rollout, economic growth predicted to be fastest in 70 years to name two.
As an ordinary British citizen I've felt no negatives from Brexit...

But then again I look for the positives in life =)

Vaccine rollout: done when we were still effectively in the EU, using UK-EU research, investment and manufacturing collaboration. All EU countries (including us) had option to either go as a group or individual states could go it alone. The rollout is a tremendous success but completely independent of Brexit. Of note though, Brexit has caused us the loss of the European Medical Agency, which was in the UK.

On a side note: some EU countries seem to have huge problems with Anti-Vax sentiment (largely driven by on-line misinformation): my brother's french other half says almost none of her relatives are taking them, and they're not alone by any means. I find that incredible, esp for a nation that so values and respects its own health service.

Growth is a direct result of clawing back some of the ground lost from the biggest recession in 300 years. If we end up with a more solid recovery than the leading EU countries in, say, 3-4 years, then yes, I'd say Brexit will have been a success.

So far I've found a lot of the people that are saying 'it's not affected me' are the retired, with triple lock state + final salary pensions and are mortgage free. This may change when EU travel starts to open up, although I'm sure steps will be put into place to smooth this. I hope so: as it stands historic motorsport (Spa, Le Mans Classic, Angouleme) looks to have all sorts of customs issues.

Now, I'd be a lot less sore if we'd got the Brexit that was being sold in 2016, and completely understand why people were tempted to vote that way: people sold the vision of friction free access to the single market / custom union but with many of the percieved benefits of more independence. Lots of people were getting a terrible deal from society and thought / were told a Brexit vote would right many of the wrongs. I get that.

We've ended up with about as hard a Brexit you can get without an outright no deal, Scotland right on the edge of leaving, Ireland heading towards heaven knows what and a general flag-waving, Little Englander outlook where populism rules all. I find it very hard indeed to understand how huge swathes of the country think this is not only acceptable, but that it's to be applauded. I would submit that the numbers of winners both here and in the EU does not outweigh the number of losers.

Last edited:
Vaccine rollout: done when we were still effectively in the EU, using UK-EU research, investment and manufacturing collaboration. All EU countries (including us) had option to either go as a group or individual states could go it alone. The rollout is a tremendous success but completely independent of Brexit. Of note though, Brexit has caused us the loss of the European Medical Agency, which was in the UK.

Growth is a direct result of clawing back from the biggest recession in 300 years. If we end up with a more solid recovery than the leading EU countries in, say, 3-4 years, then yes, I'd say Brexit will have been a success.

Brexiteers will try and credit Brexit with anything they can. Desperation.

The fact the CL final is between two English teams is entirely as a result of Brexit.

The vaccine rollout, economic growth predicted to be fastest in 70 years to name two.
As an ordinary British citizen I've felt no negatives from Brexit...

But then again I look for the positives in life =)
Vaccine rollout? If we'd had a half competent government, it wouldn't have been needed. Taiwan has a population of 22m and a higher population density than the UK. Their Vice President is an epidemiologist; we have a scientifically (and culturally) ignorant government. They've had 12 (twelve) deaths from Covid. That's the true measure of our government; the last time I looked the UK has the highest death rate from Covid in the World. And you're impressed with their vaccine rollout!

RAB

Brexiteers will try and credit Brexit with anything they can. Desperation.

The fact the CL final is between two English teams is entirely as a result of Brexit.
Can you explain why
"the CL final is between two English teams is entirely as a result of Brexit"

Mac

Can you explain why
"the CL final is between two English teams is entirely as a result of Brexit"

Mac
The point is that the Champions League final being contested by two English teams has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. The implication is that Brexiteers will claim that anything positive is a direct result of Brexit, even when there’s no reason to suggest causality.

I do have one final point: can you imagine the reaction in the right wing cheer-leading (and let's be honest, billionaire tax-dodger owned) press had the EU inflicted the current Brexit on us?

They would be utterly, utterly apoplectic with rage: how dare the EU drive the UK apart, how dare they put a border up the Irish channel. They've taken away our Norwegian fishing deal! We've been thrown out of Erasmus! They won't take our shell-fish! It's going to be the biggest increase in red tape for 1/2 a century!

Now I see despite us holding all the cards, and 'they need us more than we need them' somehow every Brexit problem is STILL the EU's fault.

Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back