Votex bodykit jacking-point cover needed

Aye...actually sourcing one is impossible :(

I managed to get one made for me by a friend....but the amount of effort that went into it makes it not very price friendly :(

I have still to fit mine but it needs some fettling before I do....plus I want to figure out a way of not losing it again.

Good luck with the search though.

need one please! But as I know they 'look' the same but actually slightly different fitting front L/R front to back. I can't remember which one I lost

Mission impossible

Count me in!! Finding one is near impossible.. Am willing to spend that extra penny.

I have a brand new complete body kit in primmer.

(please dont make me any offers it is not for sale!)

I would not mind if moulds were made from all three covers if this would help?

Darren

definitely, I need to ask over on the German forum how many were interested. There were lots of numbers being thrown around and they were very large indeed, which was a bit pointless. I'd hope that a set would be under £50, but let's see.....

Bret

Darren,

That's a great offer.

I do not have any contacts in this field, however I’m sure I could find a company to quote for the work if we have an idea of numbers, although I'm sure Bret has some contacts.

For myself, I would be happy to purchase a complete spare set of covers and the single n/s/f replacement I need.

The idea of costs around £50 per complete set sits very well with me, but I'm sure this will depend on the numbers being ordered.

Jeff

I'm thinking that it *might* be possible to do some fancy work with moulds and new material, but i'd also be interested to hear what material they are right now. Anyone know?

Bret

Just had a look and I think they are ABS Plastic.

Not sure if they are injection molded?

But injection molding might be a way to go.

Darren

I was thinking a simple mould. ABS is a pain, PU would be a *lot* easier, I think. Will have to look into it; need to check the paint adhesion capabilities. OTOH, tooling for a mould would not be cheap unless it's a positive / negative form and that won't last.

Bret

Injection ABS is far more industrial scale than a small run for us poor A2 bodykit owners!

PU is an option but probably require careful finishing for paint. I'm thinking hobby/craft style resin moulding. I've never invested enough time to look into it, but will be will to give it ago if there are detailed instructions or youtube video. (Plus I don't actually have the missing ones to mould... I know my the other covers don't fit the hole with the missing cover). I can do with a set of spacers too! If anyone can mould it.

I understand how to do the moulding and have the kit to do most of it, too, including some polyester and epoxy 'lying around'. However, that's not the end of it, as the mould itself will be a true problem. And they'll need to be splittable or otherwise removable in a non-destructive manner if they're to be reused. Stored flat while curing and then removable? It's going to be interesting...

Needs some thinking about with some looking at and testing.

Bret

Bret,

Is this something we can leave with you to try and resolve for us poor folk with bits missing, or do you need anything to progress?

I am in no massive rush but obviously would very much like the car looking at its best as soon as possible.

If there’s anything that I can do to help let me know.

Cheers

Jeff

I would really like to know the form....

If you look at it from the visible side, is there an indentation on the underside of the visible part, i.e is it mushroomed or just flat? Flat would be a *lot* easier.

I was in a modeller's Store in Helsinki and got some ideas on pricing and stuff, and I figure it should be possible to do a set for €50 or so, assuming a run of say 20 sets. I can't expect even silicon moulds to last for much more than that and I think it's going to have to be PU for the covers themselves.

Bret

Bret,

I'll take off one cover in about 3 hrs and take photo's and get them up here, unless someone else posts before I get home.

Very much appreciate you time.

Cheers

Jeff

excellent, thanks, I missed that they existed.

That's a *lot* easier than I thought. Needs to be flat..... how many different covers are there? It's 5, isn't it? And they should be around 2" across and 4" long..... so the material cost is not *that* high and the problem is in the mould and then teh setting process.

Can you confirm these approximate measurements?

Bret

Bret,

I'm attaching 12 more pics of the side cover. This cover is the o/s/f

The approx measurements are:

outside cover width (side that shows) - 67mm
outside cover length - 127mm inc the lip that’s hidden

6 further pics on the way

Cheers

Jeff

rest of the pics

and inside measurements of the raised lip that runs around the cover:

approx 10mm high